Aeroplan has just announced a new promotion that is best described as bonkers. Since most people are at home right now and unable to fly, Aeroplan’s new promotion will allow you to earn Altitude Prestige 25K status without leaving your home.
Between April 20 and May 31, 2020, when a member earns 50,000 Aeroplan Miles through everyday Travel at home activities (including miles earned via an Aeroplan-affiliated credit card), the member will receive Altitude Prestige 25K status valid through 2021.
In addition, during this promo, Altitude members can earn towards their next status level. Members earn more when they earn Aeroplan Miles, including Bonus Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) and the potential for a one-time Altitude status tier upgrade up to a maximum award of Elite 75K.
You will need to register for this promotion at www.aeroplan.com/travelathome to qualify for this promotion.
How to earn Altitude Prestige 25K
This promotion is significant because Aeroplan is allowing you to earn miles towards your Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) which normally doesn’t apply including:
- Donating Aeroplan Miles to a charity fighting the COVID-19 crisis (5 Miles = 1 AQM)
- Convert points from hotels and credit cards such as Marriott Bonvoy or AMEX Membership Rewards
- Apply for an Aeroplan affiliated credit card and get the welcome bonus
- Shop online via the Aeroplan eStore. There will be weekly bonuses released, specifically for everyday purchases from favourite brands like Gap, Sephora, Well.ca, Indigo and more.
The easiest way to qualify for Altitude Prestige 25K
Based on the above criteria, you’ll quickly realize how easy it is to qualify for Altitude Prestige 25K if you use one of the following methods
- Transfer 50,000 American Express Membership Rewards to Aeroplan
- Transfer 120,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points to Aeroplan
- Apply for the American Express Platinum Card and then transfer your welcome bonus
The easiest way to qualify for Altitude Prestige 25K during this promotion is to transfer your points from American Express Membership Rewards or Marriott Bonvoy. This is an interesting option as I have no doubt many people are doing this. American Express and Marriott will probably be annoyed that a lot of people are transferring their points out. Of course, this strategy only works if you already have enough points.
If you don’t have any points right now but want to take advantage of the promo, you’d have to apply for some new credit cards quickly. The American Express Platinum Card has a promo right now where you’ll earn up to 70,000 points when you use a referral link. You’ll get 60,000 points after you spend $5,000 within the first three months and another 10,000 points after six months of being a card member. For reference, the regular offer is up to 60,000 points on a $3,000 spend.
With American Express, your welcome bonus usually posts as soon as you meet the minimum spend. This is beneficial because many other cards only post the welcome bonus after your first statement arrives. Since you only have just over a month for this promo, you’d have to apply for some cards quickly. Of course, the issue right now is meeting the minimum spend. It’s not exactly easy to spend $5,000 or even $3,000 when you’re social distancing.
What if you already have Altitude status?
If you read the terms and conditions of the promotion, it’s broken down into two parts. The first applies if you have no status at all where earning Altitude Prestige 25K is easy. If you already have any Altitude status, you get access to the Earn a Higher Altitude Status Offer which gets you the following:
As you can see, earning 15,000, 30,000, 70,000, 100,000 and 250,000+ Aeroplan miles. The AQM and AQD is beneficial since it’ll help you get closer to your next status level.
Altitude Prestige 25K benefits
Okay, so through this promotion, earning Altitude Prestige 25K status is easy, but is it even worth it? You betcha, here are the Altitude Prestige 25K status benefits:
- 25% Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners
- Carrier Surcharge (YQ only) Waiver on Flight Rewards – Canada & U.S.
- Priority Contacts (quicker to reach customer service)
- Priority Reservation Waitlist
- Priority Seat Selection
- 50% Discount on Preferred Seats
- Priority Airport Check-In
- Priority Airport Standby
- Complimentary Checked Baggage Allowance
- Complimentary Sports Equipment Handling
- Priority Boarding
- 2 Maple Leaf Lounge passes
- 20 eUpgrade Credits
- eUpgrade Eligibility on Air Canada flights within North America
- eUpgrade Eligibility on Air Canada flights to international destinations
- eUpgrade Travel Companion
- Silver Star Alliance benefits
- Air Canada Duty Free Boutique Discount
- Air Canada Vacations exclusive benefits
- Altitude Partner Offers
- Altitude Partner Offers
- 35% Discount on Maple Leaf Club Membership
This is one of the best airline status offers I’ve seen ever. At a time when no one is even thinking of flying and might be sitting on a huge amount of points with nothing to do with them, Aeroplan has given people a reason to think about the future. Everyone knows that Aeroplan is changing this year, so this is a unique promotion as it’s giving members something to be excited about.