Back in October, WestJet announced that a new Platinum tier would be coming. There was no official date announced at the time, but it looks like Platinum tier is now available to WestJet Rewards members who have spent $8,000 on WestJet flights or vacation packages.
This is great news since it introduces a new status tier for those who spend a lot on WestJet flights. The earlier announced changes are already in effect so let’s take another look at WestJet Rewards Platinum Status to see what you get.
WestJet Rewards Platinum tier benefits
- 8% return in WestJet dollars on WestJet flights
- 2% return in WestJet dollars on WestJet vacations packages
- Get double WestJet dollars on partner airlines
- Three free checked bags
- Unlimited advanced seat selection
- 10 airport lounge vouchers
- Zone 1 boarding
- Priority check-in and bag drop at select airports
- Priority security screening at select airports
- A dedicated support number
- Highest priority for complimentary upgrades to premium seats with the purchase of EconoFlex fares
- No fee for same-day flight changes at check-in
As you can see, WestJet has really gone above and beyond for their top tier members. Getting an 8% return is insane and I can’t think of any loyalty program that gives that much back to their members.
When it comes to earning your status, you get 12 months to qualify which is based on your anniversary date. Once you’ve reached your status, you keep it for the rest of the qualifying year and all of the next qualifying year.
Clearly, WestJet is trying to lure away Aeroplan members while they transition to near owners and have even hinted at additional benefits that will come in 2019. These changes are a good thing for consumers since other airlines will hopefully make their loyalty programs more attractive to compete with WestJet.
Earn more WestJet dollars
Although the purchases you make with the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard don’t count towards your status (unless you’re making a WestJet purchase), there’s no other credit card out there that earns you more WestJet dollars. The welcome bonus of $250 WestJet dollars and the annual round-trip companion voucher starting at $99 easily make the $119 annual fee worthwhile. If you fly WestJet on a regular basis, then getting this card is a must since it’s one of the best travel credit cards in Canada.