Have you ever noticed the option to select the WestJet companion voucher on their website? It’s right there on the main page above where you choose your destinations for flights. Some people may have ignored that checkbox since they don’t have a WestJet companion voucher, but I’m sure they still wondered what is the WestJet companion voucher?
To use the companion voucher, guests need to purchase one ticket on a flight operated by WestJet. The second guest would then pay $119 CAD, $199 CAD or $399 CAD plus the taxes, fees and charges depending on where they’re flying. This is clearly a great way to save money, but how do you get the voucher and what are the conditions?
How to get a WestJet companion voucher
There’s really no secret to getting a WestJet companion voucher, you get one annually as a WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard holder. That’s right, every year you get a free companion voucher which is easily worth more than the $119 annual fee that comes with the card. In addition, you get the following benefits:
- $119 annual fee
- $250 WestJet Dollars sign up bonus after your first purchase
- $200 additional WestJet Dollars when you spend $5,000 within 3 months of account opening
- Earn 2% back in WestJet dollars on WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages
- Earn 1.5% back in WestJet dollars on everyday purchases
- Receive an annual round-trip companion voucher starting at $119
- Save 3¢/L on fuel and always earn 20% more Petro-Points when you link your WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard
- Free first checked bags for the primary cardholder (up to 8 bags on the same reservation)
- Some travel insurance included
- Purchase security and extended warranty insurance
- Mastercard Airport Experiences provided by LoungeKey
As you can see, beyond the companion voucher, you’re getting some incredible benefits. You’ll get $350 in WestJet dollars after your first purchase and you get your first checked bag free for up to 8 people on the same itinerary. Remember, it costs $30 each-way to check a bag within North America now so a family of 4 could save $240 on every flight. Read my WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard review now for the full details.
WestJet RBC Mastercard holders also get a companion voucher but it’s slightly modified. You only get access to an annual round-trip companion voucher within Canada for $199 plus taxes, fees, and charges. Although it’s not as generous as the companion voucher that comes with the World Elite card, it’s still pretty good considering the credit card has an annual fee of just $39. For reference, here’s what you get with the WestJet RBC Mastercard.
- $39 annual fee
- $50 WestJet Dollars sign up bonus after your first purchase
- Earn 1.5% back in WestJet dollars on WestJet flights or WestJet Vacations packages
- Earn 1% back in WestJet dollars on everyday purchases
- Receive an annual round-trip companion voucher within Canada for $199 plus taxes, fees, and charges
- Save 3¢/L on fuel and always earn 20% more Petro-Points when you link your WestJet RBC MasterCard
- Travel accident insurance
- Auto rental collision/loss damage insurance
- Hotel/motel burglary insurance
- Purchase security and extended warranty insurance
WestJet companion voucher cost
The WestJet companion voucher is given to you free every year if you hold the WestJet RBC Mastercard or the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard but there are a few fees you need to pay on top of the fare for the first ticket purchased.
- $119 for round-trip travel in Canada and the continental U.S.
- $199 for round-trip travel within Canada (WestJet RBC Mastercard version)
- $399 for round-trip travel to/from the rest of the WestJet network
- Taxes, fees and charges
WestJet companion voucher conditions
Now that you understand the fees, there are a few other conditions that come with the WestJet companion voucher that you should be aware of:
- No blackout dates
- Valid for one round-trip flight for the primary cardholder and a companion of their choice travelling on the same itinerary
- Reservations must be made before the date shown on your voucher but travel can happen after that date
- It’s only valid on new reservations
- Valid on all published Basic, Econo, EconoFlex, Premium, and PremiumFlex fares wholly marketed and operated by WestJet, including seat sales
- Not eligible for Business Class or Member Exclusive fares
- You can’t use the companion voucher when making a reservation through a travel agent or third-party online booking site
- You can’t transfer the voucher
- Unused vouchers will automatically be cancelled when your WestJet RBC World EliteMastercard account is closed
To be clear, the companion voucher can only be used when the primary cardholder is travelling. Even if there’s an authorized user on the account, that person can’t use the voucher with another passenger.
You also can’t use your companion voucher on one-way trips, but multi-city destinations (where you fly into one city and out of another) are possible. To use your companion voucher for a multi-city trip, you need to call WestJet to make your reservation. A slight surcharge may be applied depending on your itinerary.
How much you’ll save with a WestJet companion voucher
The amount of money you’ll save depends on the cost of your ticket. The most important thing to remember is that you still need to pay for any taxes, fees and surcharges so the value comes from redeeming a ticket with a high base fare or Air Transportation Charges (ATC) as WestJet likes to call it. Let’s take a look at this flight to Florida below as an example.
As you can see, the ATC cost is $727.97 and the taxes are $162.55 which gives you a total ticket cost of $890.52. The primary cardholder would pay that, but the second passenger would only pay $119 + $162.55 for a total of $281.55. That works out to a savings of $608.97. Mind you, this is summer pricing on a popular route which is why there’s a potential for such big savings.
Since the voucher only discounts the ATC, you need to always check to see if it’s valuable to use your WestJet companion voucher. If you’re flying to Europe, quite often the ATC is not much more than the $399 you need to pay to use your companion voucher so it may make more sense to hold onto your voucher for WestJet flights in the future.
The nice thing about the WestJet companion voucher is that it’ll tell you online if it’s cheaper to simply just book a regular price ticket as opposed to using your voucher. This has only happened to me a handful of times when I’m booking international flights where the companion voucher cost starts at $399. That said, on those same flights, if I booked premium instead of economy, I would have saved $1,000+. In other words, the WestJet companion voucher is a great deal when you’re looking for seats in premium.
Save even more with the WestJet credit card
What many people forget is that the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard also gives you free checked baggage. For flights within North America, that’s a savings of $30 each way. Let’s say you have a family of four and you plan on taking a flight to Orlando. Based on my itinerary above, you would save $261.55 if you had a companion voucher. However, if each parent got the WestJet credit card, then you’d have two vouchers which ends up saving you $523.10.
Of course, we also need to factor in checked baggage. Let’s assume you’re checking 4 bags, that’s another $240 you’re saving by having the WestJet credit card which brings your total saved up to $763.10. Oh wait, we also need to include the $250 welcome bonus that comes with the card, that’s another $500 you’d be saving. All-in, you would save $1263.10 which is a lot more than the $238 you’d be paying in annual fees for the credit card. In the end, you’d come out ahead by $1025.10.
It’s easy to see why the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard is on my list of the best travel credit cards in Canada. The benefits you get are simply incredible which makes it a must-have card for anyone who flies WestJet on a regular basis. Read my full review of the WestJet World Elite Mastercard if you want to learn more or apply now and start saving on your next flight.
WestJet Rewards is one of the best travel loyalty programs and it’s even better if you have one of their co-branded credit cards. If you fly WestJet on a regular basis or even once a year, applying for their credit card is worth it.