Over the years, my style of travelling has varied. During my early travel days, I didn’t care what amenities were available at my accommodations as long as where I was staying was cheap. That meant I stayed at hostels (which had a few surprisingly good amenities) or at budget hotels where I would only be there to sleep.
Since then my tastes have changed and I started looking for more comforts when I travel. As a full-time freelancer, having WiFi is a must and when I travel with my daughter, having laundry access is pretty important too. But what are the most desirable amenities for Canadian travellers? Airbnb Plus – a division of Airbnb just released some survey results and you may be surprised at what Canadian travellers are looking for.
The Most Desirable Amenities for Canadian travellers
- 98% of Canadians say amenities impact their travel
- Accommodations have the highest impact on vacation quality (55%) while amenities come in second (41%)
- Air conditioning/heat and WiFi are the most important indoor amenities
- 69% of Canadians ranked uncomfortable beds/towels are the most likely features to bother them, while poor heating and air conditioning is a close second (55%)
- 65% of Canadian travellers agree that comfort is the most important when booking accommodations
- 55% of Canadian travellers agree that high-quality linens and towels are thoughtful touches, with luxury bathroom products (49%) as a close second
- 51% of respondents consider how their accommodations will look on social media when booking at least somewhat
Admittedly, I can relate to a lot of the findings in this survey. The first time I visited Barcelona, I stayed in a hostel where I practically sank into the mattress. When I went to Barcelona earlier this year, I had a much better experience since I stayed at the Iberostar Paseo de Gracia.
Having proper air conditioning is also a deal breaker for me these days. If you’ve ever visited any country where it gets HOT, not having air conditioning can practically ruin your vacation.
When I first started using Airbnb, high-quality linens weren’t really a thing, but now I’m seeing more comfortable linens being advertised in listings. I imagine that many Airbnb hosts are competing with each other so they need to up the comfort amenities to catch the attention of potential guests.
As much as I love amenities, in the end, price and location matter to me the most. I always prefer accommodations that make it easy for me to explore the city I’m visiting. I don’t need to be within walking distance of things. As long as I’m near public transportation, I’ll be happy.
What are your priorities when picking your accommodations?