Travelling within Canada is notoriously expensive, but it turns out right now is the cheapest time to travel across the country. Well, not this exact moment, but rather the month of April is when you’ll find the best deals.
According to KAYAK, the world’s leading travel search engine, the week of April 23rd is the cheapest time to travel with the median round-trip airfare being $386. This is 44% lower than December – the most expensive month to travel domestically.
It’s important to note that since it’s already April, finding deals might be tough, but it’s always interesting to see what the data reveals, Let’s take a look at some of the cheapest and most popular destinations for Canadians in 2018.
2018 Top Domestic Deal Destinations
- Edmonton – Flight prices down 40%; median airfare is $485
- Abbotsford – Flight prices down 33%; median airfare is $396
- Winnipeg – Flight prices down 30%; median airfare is $485
- Hamilton – Flight prices down 25%; median airfare is $445
- Moncton – Flight prices down 19%; median airfare is $518
What’s interesting about this list is the fact that the top four destinations in Edmonton, Abbotsford, Winnipeg, and Hamilton are some of the top destinations of Canada’s ultra-low-cost carriers. Flair Airlines already flies to all those destinations while Swoop has announced that they’ll do the same.
Cheapest Popular International Destinations Under $500
- Boston, Massachusetts – Median airfare is $328
- New York, New York – Median airfare is $367
- Chicago, Illinois – Median airfare is $394
- Denver, Colorado – Median airfare is $394
- Phoenix, Arizona – Median airfare is $397
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida – Median airfare is $320
- Los Angeles, California- Median airfare is $412
- Tampa, Florida – Median airfare is $320
- San Diego, California – Median airfare is $414
- Las Vegas, Nevada – Median airfare is $438
I get that this list is showing median airfare and costs can vary quite a bit depending on where you live in Canada, but a flight to Los Angeles and San Diego for $412 and $414 respectively is quite the deal! I also love how Denver makes the list as that’s not a destination that usually gets a lot of attention. I’m somewhat surprised that Orlando didn’t make this list as I’ve seen some pretty cheap flights there, but there is Fort Lauderdale and Tampa if you want to catch some of that Florida sunshine.
2018 Most Popular Destinations
- Paris – Median airfare is $837
- London – Median airfare is $918
- Toronto – Median airfare is $808
- Vancouver – Median airfare is $618
- Athens – Median airfare is $1,168
- Rome – Median airfare is $1,037
- Lisbon – Median airfare is $887
- Manila – Median airfare is $1,168
- Orlando – Median airfare is $459
- Tokyo – Median airfare is $1,152
Now, this is where things get interesting. I don’t know how New York didn’t make this list since it always seems to be in the top 5 of every travel list. That being said, I’m thrilled to see Tokyo making an appearance since Japan is my favourite country that I’ve visited. It’s also nice to see Lisbon ranking so high since I believe it’s often overlooked. Yes, I realize just about everyone has been there the last few years, but Portugal still offers incredible value compared to many other countries.
2018 Top Trending Summer Destinations
- Istanbul, Turkey – Interest up 142%
- Nadi, Fiji – Interest up 65%
- Kahului, Hawaii – Interest up 60%
- Naples, Italy – Interest up 54%
- Dubrovnik, Croatia – Interest up 50%
- Nashville, Tennessee – Interest up 45%
- Cancun, Mexico – Interest up 44%
- Santorini, Greece – Interest up 43%
- Marseille, France – Interest up 39%
- Maui, Hawaii – Interest up 37%
I find it slightly entertaining that of the top 10 trending summer destinations, 5 of them are traditionally “hot” destinations. You would think that Nashville, Cancun, Hawaii, and Fiji would be more popular in the offseason, but may it just has to do with the fact that more people travel in the summer. I love the fact that Istanbul is the top trending destination as their tourism took a huge hit due to terrorism over the last few years. I’ve been to Istanbul and have nothing but great things to say about the city.
All data is based on median airfares conducted from KAYAK CA and is intended to be used as a guide. Travel dates are May 25, 2018 – September 3, 2018, and search dates are February 21, 2017 – February 21, 2018. All flights considered are economy, round-trip. To compare year over year findings, KAYAK considered searches from February 21, 2016 – February 21, 2017 for travel between May 25, 2017 – September 3, 2017.
Methodology for cheapest time to travel
All data is based on median airfares conducted from KAYAK CA and is intended to be used as a guide. Travel dates for the cheapest time to travel domestically are January 1, 2018 through December 1, 2018 and search dates are January 1, 2017 through December 1, 2017. Prices are subject to change.