Have you ever wondered what the best American Express credit cards in Canada are? Well, it really depends on how often you travel, the type of rewards you like to earn, and how much you spend each month.
Every American Express card is different, but many of them offer premium benefits which are much better than the credit cards you get from the big banks in Canada. Here’s a list of the best American Express credit cards in Canada and what they offer.
|Card||Welcome Bonus||Annual fee|
|American Express Personal Platinum||60,000 after $5,000 spend||$699|
|Marriott Bonvoy American Express||60,000 after $1,500 spend||$120|
|American Express Gold Rewards card||25,000 after $1,500 spend||$150|
|American Express Cobalt||Up to 30,000||$10 per month|
|SimplyCash Preferred Card||5% cash-back for 6 months||$99|
American Expres Personal Platinum Card
- $699 annual fee
- 60,000 Sign up bonus (when using a referral link)
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on dining
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on travel
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- $200 Annual travel credit
- Unlimited airport lounge access
- Special benefits at Toronto Pearson
- Hotel status upgrades
- Fine Hotels & Resorts benefits
- Exclusive dining experiences with the Global Dining Collection
- Emergency medical, flight delay/cancellation, lost/delayed luggage insurance
If you travel frequently, then the American Expres Personal Platinum Card is easily the best American Express credit card in Canada since it comes with unlimited lounge access. Normally a membership with Priority Pass would cost you $99 USD and $32 per visit, so there’s a lot of value with the Amex Platinum card when you factor in all the other benefits.
When you use my referral bonus, you get 60,000 points as a welcome bonus. Your earn rate is 3 points per $1 spent on dining, 2 points per $1 spent on travel, and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. This card also gives you an annual travel credit worth $200 and some amazing dining and travel benefits. Read my American Express Platinum card review now for my full thoughts.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express Credit Card
- $120 annual fee
- 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points welcome bonus
- Earn 5 Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 on eligible card purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties
- Earn 2 Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 on all other purchases
- Free annual night award that can be redeemed at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties worldwide, with a redemption value up to 5,000 points
- 15 Elite Night credits each calendar year
- Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status when you spend $30,000 on your card each year
- Complimentary in-room, premium internet access while staying at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
If you’re loyal to SPG or Marriott properties, then you need to have the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Credit Card (formerly known as the SPG Amex). It comes with a sign up bonus of 60,000 points when you charge $1,500 to your credit card in the first three months of card membership. Those points are enough for 5 nights at a category 2 hotel (or category 2 off-peak) when you factor in the book 4 nights, get the 5th-night free promotion when booking nights on points.
Guests who spend at participating Marriott properties will earn 5 points per $1 spend and 2 points per $1 spent on all other purchases. You also get a free annual night award up to 35,000 points which will easily offset your annual fee of $120. Read my Marriott Bonvoy Amex card review now to see if this card is a fit for you.
American Express Gold Rewards Card
- $150 Annual fee – first year free when signing up via Perkopolis, Venngo, CPA Canada, or eSurvus
- 25,000 Signup points after charging $1,500 in purchases
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on grocery, gas, pharmacy, and travel
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Comprehensive travel insurance package included
With a low annual fee and a strong sign up bonus of 25,000 points, the American Express Gold Rewards card is one of the best American Express credit cards in Canada. Your earnings rate of 2 points per $1 spent on grocery, gas, pharmacy, and travel is highly lucrative if you happen to spend a lot on those categories while all other purchases get you 1 point per $1 spent.
Don’t forget, with American Express Membership Rewards points, you can transfer them to Aeroplan at a 1:1 basis which would give you enough points for a round trip ticket to anywhere in the continental U.S. and Canada. Alternatively, you can transfer those points to Starwood Preferred Guest / Marriott Rewards at a 1:1.2 ratio. For this reason, the American Express Gold Rewards card makes the list of the best travel credit cards in Canada.
American Express Cobalt Card
- $10 Monthly fee ($120 Annually)
- 2,500 monthly welcome points (30,000 total) after charging $500 in purchases
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent on food (grocery, restaurants, bars, food delivery, etc)
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on travel (includes public transportation and taxis/Uber)
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
The best American Express credit card for foodies is the Cobalt card. This Canadian exclusive card gives you 5 points per $1 spent on grocery, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and even food delivery. Travel purchases including public transportation and Uber get you 2 points per $1 spent while all other purchases earn you 1 point per $1 spent.
What makes the American Express Cobalt card is that it uses a structure similar to subscription services. You pay a monthly fee of $10 and your sign up bonus is 2,500 per month for the first year when you spend $500 in purchases. That’s a total of 30,000 you can earn as a bonus in the first year. Read my American Express Cobalt card review to find out what other perks you get.
American Express SimplyCash Preferred Card
- $99 annual fee
- 5% cash-back on purchases for the first 6 months (up to $300)
- 2% cash-back on purchases after the first 6 months (no limit)
- 1.99% interest rate on balance transfers for the first 6 months
- Earn $200 cash back for approved referrals (up to $3,000)
If you prefer to earn cash-back instead of rewards, then the American Express SimplyCash Preferred card will appeal to you. You get 5% cash-back (up to $300) on all purchases for the first 6 months. The card does have an annual fee of $99, but once your promotional period ends, you’ll still earn 2% cash-back on all purchases.
Another nice perk about the American Express SimplyCash Preferred card is the optional balance transfer where you’ll only pay 1.99% interest for the first 6 months. For more details about the card, read my full review.
The best American Express card in Canada is subjective, but know that the points you earn are highly valuable. If you want to see what other great cards are out there, check out my list of the best travel credit cards in Canada.