If you love going to the movies, you’ll want to read my Scotiabank SCENE Visa review now. Not only do you earn a ton of points when you go to the movies at Cineplex theatres, but you’ll also earn points on everyday purchases. To simply put it, there is no other way to earn free movies since SCENE is the loyalty program for Cineplex.
The Scotiabank SCENE Visa has no annual fee and comes with 2,500 bonus SCENE points (enough for two free movies) with your first $500 in everyday purchases in first 3 months. In addition, you can use points at any Cara-owned restaurant which gives you some flexibility with your points. Read my Scotiabank SCENE Visa review now to find out why it’s one of the best Scotiabank credit cards in Canada.
Scotiabank SCENE Visa benefits
- No annual fee
- 2,000 SCENE points welcome bonus when you spend $500 in the first three months
- Earn 5 SCENE points for every $1 you spend at Cineplex theatres or at cineplex.com
- Earn 1 SCENE point for every $1 you spend on all other purchases
- Earn 1 additional SCENE point for every $3 you spend at CARA restaurants
- Save up to 25% off base rates at participating AVIS and Budget locations in Canada and the U.S.
The Scotiabank SCENE Visa (referral link) benefits are pretty straightforward and are clearly aimed at people who like to go to the movie theatre. There’s is no other credit card that allows you to earn that many points when going to the movies.
The 2,000 bonus SCENE points you get when you spend $500 in the first three months is a nice way to introduce you to the card.
Since there is no annual fee for the card, you could argue that this is one of the best credit cards for students. That assumes the student likes to watch movies.
Besides earning points towards movies, you do get one additional major benefit which is up to 25% off base rates at participating AVIS and Budget locations in Canada and the U.S.
No travel insurance or extended warranty is included with the Scotia SCENE Visa, but this is a card with no annual fee so it shouldn’t be a surprise that there are limited additional benefits.
How the SCENE points program works
Since the SCENE is Cineplex Theatres loyalty program, most of your redeem and points earning options will be available there. Before we get into how you can redeem your points, let’s look at a few other ways you can earn SCENE points.
- General admission ticket = 100 points
- Premium movie ticket = 150 points
- VIP movie ticket = 200 points
- Every dollar spent on food and drinks = 10 points
- Every dollar spent at Cineplex.com = 10 points
As you can see, you’ll earn way more points when you make purchases at Cineplex Theatres. But what does it cost to make a redemption?
- General admission ticket = 1,000 points
- Premium movie ticket = 1,500 points
- VIP movie ticket = 2,000 points
- $5 off concessions = 500 points
- $10 off at CARA restaurants = 1,000 points
**SCENE points are being devalued on April 17, 2019.
It’s hard to assign an exact percentage value to your points since it movie tickets vary in price depending on where you live and what type of ticket you’re buying.
You could simply say the card gives you about a 1% return which is okay considering this is a no annual fee card. But if you’re looking for big rewards, you’re better off applying for one of the best travel credit cards in Canada.
My Scotiabank SCENE Visa review is positive. The card is clearly aimed at people who love movies and it rewards them for visiting the theatre. The overall benefits aren’t the best, but you can still earn massive amounts of points at Cineplex Theatres.