Business credit cards are typically focused on buying power and business protection, but a few cards out there provide some pretty good travel rewards. That Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business is one of those cards since you get no foreign transaction fees, travel insurance, airport lounge access and more.
From a business point of view, having a credit card that charges no foreign transaction fees can be significant since that ensures that you’re saving at least 2.5% on any purchase that’s not in Canadian dollars. However, is the savings enough for you to consider this card? Read my Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card review now for the full details.
Scotiabank Passport™ Visa Infinite Business* Card
- $199 annual fee
- 30,000 Scene+ points when spending $5,000 in the first 3 months
- 10,000 points when spending $60,000 in the first year
- Earn 1.5 Scene+ points per $1 spent on all purchases
- Visa Airport Companion Program membership + 6 free passes per year
- No foreign transaction fees
Welcome bonus and earn rate
The Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card typically has a welcome bonus of 30,000 – 50,000 Scene+ points. Since 100 Scene+ points are worth $1, that means your welcome bonus has a value of $300 – $500. This welcome bonus is not exceptional, but it’s similar to many mid-tier credit cards.
The earn rate for the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card is 1.5 Scene+ points per dollar spent. Even though there are no categories where you’ll get an increased earn rate, you’re getting a 1.5% return in points on all of your purchases. This is higher than many premium credit cards.
Benefits and perks
You get a surprising number of benefits for a business credit card with an annual fee of $199. Not only do you get your standard business tools, but you also get some great travel rewards. These rewards can be appealing to business users and regular consumers.
No foreign transaction fees
Most credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee of 2.5% whenever you make a purchase in any currency that’s not Canadian dollars. However, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card is the only business card that doesn’t. This can be significant to business owners that use suppliers that charge in foreign currencies. This savings alone can be worth more than the rewards you earn with other cards.
Airport lounge access
Cardholders get a Visa Airport Companion Program membership provided by DragonPass, plus six annual free visits. This gives you access to more than 1,200 airport lounges in 140+ countries. For reference, a standard DragonPass membership normally costs $99 USD per year, and each lounge visit is $32 USD. This benefit alone is worth more than your annual fee.
Avis Preferred Plus membership
As an Avis Preferred Plus member, you’ll get discounts of up to 25% in Canada and the U.S. In addition, you may qualify for complimentary vehicle upgrades. Note that you’ll need to register with Avis to receive your upgraded membership.
Since this is a business card, you do get some perks that can help you run your business more smoothly.
- Visa Spend Clarity for Business – Manage your expenses with Visa Spend Clarity for Business by tracking your costs online.
- Business loan protection – This optional service covers your business account in case something unexpected happens.
- Travel medical – $1,000,000 for 25 days / 10 days if you’re 65 or older
- Trip cancellation/trip interruption – up to $2,500 per person / $10,000 total
- Flight/trip delay – up to $500 / 4 hours
- Delayed and lost baggage – up to $1,000 / 4 hours
- Auto rental car collision/loss damage – 48 consecutive days / $65,000
- Hotel/motel burglary – $1,000 per occurrence
- Travel accident insurance – $500,000 / $1,000,000 total
With the exception of hotel/motel burglary and auto rental car collision loss/damage where you need to charge the full amount to your credit card, only 75% of your other travel expenses need to be charged to your card for your insurance to apply. Overall, this is a pretty good travel insurance package.
- Purchase security – 90 days
- Extended warranty – Up to one additional year
Purchase security covers any purchases you’ve charged to your Scotiabank Visa Infinite Business Card from loss, theft, and damage for up to 90 days. As for the extended warranty, it’ll double your manufacturer’s warranty for up to one additional year.
Visa Infinite benefits
- Concierge service – If you ever need help making a restaurant reservation, picking the perfect gift, or planning your trip, you’ll have the Visa concierge available.
- Luxury Hotel Collection – When booking accommodations through the Visa Luxury Hotel Collection, you’ll get access to the best available rates, free Wi-Fi and a room upgrade (when available).
- Dining Series – Cardholders can enjoy food and wine at private events hosted by some of the biggest names in culinary.
- Wine Country program – Get discounts and wine tastings at over 85 participating wineries in British Columbia, Ontario and Sonoma Valley.
- Troon Golf – Enjoy Silver Status with Troon Rewards and get 10% off green fees, merchandise and lessons.
How to redeem your rewards
Now it’s time to discuss the rewards earned in my Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card review. Scene+ is the result of a merger between Scotia Rewards and SCENE. When loyalty programs merge, there tends to be a devaluation, but Scene+ is better. With Scene+, you can redeem 100 points for $1 off any travel purchase through the Scene+ travel portal. You can also apply your points to any travel purchase charged to your card, but that purchase must exceed $50.
Besides travel, your Scene+ points can also be used for entertainment and movies. Scene+ is partnered with Empire-owned grocery stores, so you can use points at stores such as Sobeys, Safeway, Foodland, and IGA. In addition, Cineplex is a partner. That allows you to use your points on movies in theatres or at Cineplex.com. In both cases, the value is 100 points = $1. That means your Scene+ points have a maximum value of 1 cent per point.
Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card eligibility
- You’re a Canadian citizen, or you’re a permanent resident living in Canada
- You’re at least the age of majority in your province or territory
- You have a minimum annual personal gross income of $60,000 or a household income of $100,000
- You haven’t declared bankruptcy in the past seven years
- Your home address must match your credit report home address
To qualify for this card, you must meet all the above criteria. What you may notice is that there’s no credit score requirement. Like all other banks, Scotiabank doesn’t typically publish the minimum credit score requirement to be approved. That said, you likely want your credit score to be at least 670 before applying, which would be considered good. Presumably, since this is a business card, Scotiabank will ask you about your business when you apply.
How the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card compares
To round out this Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card, we must look at comparable cards. The problem is, what you should compare to depends on your needs. If you’re a business owner needing to avoid foreign transaction fees, the Scotiabank card is likely the best option. However, if you have other options, consider the following.
The American Express Business Platinum Card has an annual fee of $499, but it gives you unlimited lounge access for you plus a guest. You also get hotel status at Hilton and Marriott. You’ll only earn 1.25 American Express Membership Rewards points per $1 spent, but the points are more valuable than Scene+ since you can transfer them to Aeroplan and Marriott Bonvoy. This card is great if you’re looking for more travel benefits.
If you’re looking for a card that’s business friendly, consider the American Express Business Gold Rewards Card. You get 55 interest-free days and mobile device insurance. However, the earn rate is just 1 American Express Membership. The annual fee is $199.
My Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card review is positive. This is a highly versatile card that is good for people in the following situations:
- You have a lot of foreign transactions – This is one of the few business credit cards that offer no foreign transaction fees.
- You want travel perks – Six free annual lounge visits, and comprehensive travel insurance is included.
- You want simple rewards – Scene+ points can be used for groceries, travels, and movies without effort.
With an annual fee of just $199 and quite a few benefits, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Business Card should get your attention. It’s an ideal card for business owners with many expenses that aren’t charged in Canadian dollars. In addition, you get some pretty good travel perks. This card is clearly one of the best Scotiabank credit cards.