How to get an Emergency Canadian Passport

**This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated if you use them.

**Disclaimer, I am not an employee of the Canadian Government and have no inside knowledge of policy and procedures. I do not know when you’ll receive your new passport if you applied for one. You should call your local office if you have any specific questions. What is outlined below is the extent of my knowledge.

Do you want to know how to get an emergency Canadian passport? Getting an emergency Canadian passport can be stressful, but depending on your location and circumstances, it can be pretty straightforward. Regardless of your situation, there are currently two passport options available to Canadians. A 5-year passport will cost 120 Canadian dollars, while a 10-year passport is $160. Obviously, getting a 10-year passport is the better value.

If you’re still on Canadian soil, it’s a relatively straightforward process. For those who have lost or had their passports stolen overseas, it can be a frightening situation but don’t worry, everything will be alright.

Determine what passport services you need

Due to COVID-19, the backlog of getting a passport is insane. Fortunately, you can now book an appointment online if you don’t need a passport within the next 48 hours.

If you’re still in Canada and need a passport, when your travel plans will determine what type of service you need. Regardless of your situation, make sure you have the following documents.

  • A completed application form
  • Required documentation of travel (like a plane or train ticket)
  • Identity documents 
  • Passport photos
  • Passport applicationfee

Things are annoying because the requirements listed online can contradict themselves. For example, you can’t go in person to renew your passport unless your travel is within 25 days, but they say you can go to the nearest government of Canada office if your travel is between 3 to 45 business days. The website also recommends that you don’t finalize any travel plans until you get your passport. But you need proof of payment to get your passport processed. 

Regardless of your travel plans, the government recommends the following based on your travel dates:

If you need your passport in 2 business days or less

  • Go to a passport office that offers urgent pick-up service
  • Walk-in only, no appointments
  • Provide proof of travel within the next 48 hours

If you need your passport between 2 to 45 business days

  • Go to a passport office
  • Appointments and walk-ins allowed
  • Provide proof of travel within the next 25 calendar days
  • Processing may take up to 2 weeks, plus mail time

If you need your passport 46 business days or later

  • Go to any Service Canada Centre
  • Appointments and walk-ins allowed
  • You can also apply by mail
  • Processing waiting time may take up to 13 weeks

Urgent and express service Canadian passports

If you require a rush on your passport, you have two options available with an additional fee charged on top of the regular cost of your passport.

  • Urgent pick-up (end of the next business day) – $110
  • Express pick-up within 2-9 business days – $50
  • Standard pickup (on or after 10 business days) – $20

You must show up in person when applying for urgent services. Don’t even think about sending someone in your place, you won’t get a passport this way. Of course, you’ll also need to bring a completed application, proof of citizenship or immigration status, 2 references, and 2 passport photos signed by your guarantor.

Even if your flight is in three days, you might still be able to get an emergency Canadian passport in 24 hours or less. Assuming you show up at the passport office as soon as it opens with your documents in hand, there’s a good chance you could get your passport by the end of the day. Note that this is not available at all passport offices so you should call your local one before arriving.

When requesting urgent service, you must show proof of travel in the form of a travel itinerary that’s been paid in full. Alternatively, if you’re travelling due to a medical emergency, you should bring some kind of note showing the illness or death of the family member.

Many people find travel deals but will only book if they can get their passports in time. This obviously just pisses off the passport office since they have much more important things to deal with.

How to apply for a child’s passport in Canada

A child’s passport is required for anyone under 16 years of age. Unlike adult passports, there’s only a five-year option available. A child’s passport is valid as long as the expiry date hasn’t passed, even if they’ve turned 16. 

To apply for a child’s passport, you must meet one of the following conditions:

  • One of the child’s parents (as long as you’re not separated or divorced)
  • The parent who has custody of the child (if you are separated or divorced) with the correct documentation.
  • The child’s legal guardian (documentation must be provided)

Note that both parents must sign the passport application form. If you don’t know where the other parent is, you can contact passport Canada.

Emergency Canadian passports on a weekend or holiday

Getting an emergency Canadian passports on a weekend or statutory holiday is extremely difficult. Some offices offer emergency service, however, you need the number of the standby person. The problem is, this number is not openly disclosed, and no set number works Canada-wide. For example, if you live in Toronto, a guy might be on standby on weekends. You must get that number from the Toronto office sometime during the week. If you’re finding out on Saturday that you need a passport for Sunday, you’re probably out of luck.

The only number I’ve found for weekend/holiday service is 1-800-567-6868. This is listed right on the government of Canada website.

If you find an office with weekend service, ensure everything is ready to go. As you can imagine, this kind of service is going to cost you a small fortune. It costs $335 in addition to the regular passport service fee. In many situations, it’ll be cheaper to just re-book your airline ticket for a different date (if that’s an option).

There are a few “positive” things about getting an emergency passport on a weekend or holiday. The specific instructions are given to you because passport employees will basically be waiting for you to show up with your documents. They might be opening the office just for you. As a result, you may get your passport in a few hours.

If, by chance, your whole family requires emergency weekend service, you’ll only be charged the $335 once. Any additional applications submitted by members of the same family at the same time will only be charged the urgent pick-up fee of $110 each.

Temporary Emergency Canadian Passport

If you’re currently in a foreign country and your passport gets lost or stolen, you must immediately report it to the police or tourist police. Contact some friends back home to assist you if you haven’t already. You’ll mainly need them to be references similar to urgent services they need to be available when called. Note that family members aren’t permitted as references.

With your police report, locate and head to the closest Canadian Embassy or consulate. You’ll also need your references, passport photos and contact information ready to go. You can speed up the processing time if you have a scanned copy of your passport and your travel itinerary handy, but generally speaking, you’re still looking at 2-4 days.

When applying for a temporary Canadian passport (white), you’ll be required to simultaneously apply for your regular passport. You’ll also have to pay an exchange fee since that temporary Canadian passport must be returned in person or by traceable mail. If someone back home has access to your birth certificate and photo ID, you can ask them to bring it to the local passport office so your new passport will be valid for five years; otherwise, it may be valid for just two years.

If you’ve lost all your ID, now would be a good time to request a letter stating your identification and that you’re in the process of getting a new passport. This will help you for ID purposes if you get a money transfer from someone.

Final thoughts

As you can imagine, not having a valid passport or losing your passport can be a real pain. Always store digital versions of your travel documents in your e-mail so you can access them any time; don’t forget to include emergency contacts of your credit and debit cards. You won’t be able to travel without a valid passport, so any upcoming flights must be rescheduled while you wait for your emergency Canadian passport. Another option is applying for a NEXUS card, which will make travelling between Canada and the U.S. easier.

About Barry Choi

Barry Choi is a Toronto-based personal finance and travel expert who frequently makes media appearances. His blog Money We Have is one of Canada’s most trusted sources when it comes to money and travel. You can find him on Twitter:@barrychoi


  1. Virna on May 2, 2015 at 8:12 AM

    Thanks for this very useful info. Now I know what to do in case our passports gets lost/stolen while in another country.

    • Barry Choi on May 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM


      No problem Virna. Hopefully people never have to use this information but it’s good to have it all in one spot.

      • sho k on July 23, 2016 at 6:29 PM

        I just checked my passport is expired and flight is tomorrow which is a Sunday it’s a major emergency. What do I do can I get a pass or some kind from any where ?

        • vee on December 31, 2017 at 2:17 AM

          Did u manage to get on your flight \

        • Riley on April 1, 2018 at 10:59 AM

          Hi there

          Does anyone have a emergency contact to anyone at the passport office? I live in Winnipeg but would fly to Toronto if needed for this service . I would also pay a lot for this .

      • Cherry tabucol on April 12, 2017 at 11:39 AM

        Hi i just have a question. My boyfriend just list her passporrt this morning and he has a flight. Hut he already missed it cause he cant find his passport. Is there any way that he can apply the temporary passport? His going in california and in philippines. Thankyou

        • Barry Choi on April 12, 2017 at 11:56 AM


          Assuming he’s still in Canada. The quickest method would be for him to get an urgent passport.

          • Cherry tabucol on April 12, 2017 at 12:17 PM

            Yes but he already missed his flight this morning.

          • Cherry on April 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM

            Is there any way that he can get a travel.permit and ge canleave today?

          • Barry Choi on April 12, 2017 at 2:40 PM

            Not that I’m aware of

  2. Our Big Fat Wallet on May 3, 2015 at 9:54 PM

    Good to know in the event of an emergency, I didn’t know that was even a possibility

    • Barry Choi on May 3, 2015 at 11:08 PM

      Our Big Fat Wallet,

      Hopefully it’s information you never need to use but at least you know where to find it if you do need it.

      • annissa on February 21, 2019 at 1:40 PM

        i live in new york and my passport is expired and i need to travel urgently. can you help me?

        • Barry Choi on February 21, 2019 at 4:47 PM

          Hi Annissa,

          I don’t work for the passport office, you should contact the local embassy for assistance.

  3. wayne on January 9, 2016 at 2:43 PM

    I was recently in California when out passports were stolen from our hotel room. Have my passport picture in an email was useless. I was stressed but after a couple stiff drinks of rum and lots of paper work It went well. 48 hrs later I had our temp passports and headed home. Very scarey!

  4. Cathy on March 23, 2016 at 9:24 PM

    Can I get an emergency passport if I don’t already have a passport?

    • Barry Choi on March 23, 2016 at 9:26 PM


      As long as you have all the paperwork, photos signed by your guarantor and references ready you should be able to get a rush with no problems.

      • Sodine Thao on May 31, 2017 at 1:10 AM

        Hi Barry,
        How can I get the photo for guarantor to sign if I flight out of Canada, then the passport was stolen .

        • Barry Choi on May 31, 2017 at 1:13 AM

          Hi Sodine,

          You would have to check with the Canadian consulate in the country you’re currently in.

  5. Mary on April 3, 2016 at 3:24 PM

    Thank you for this information. So if I show up at 7:30 in the morning when the office opens do you think I will be able to get a passport the same day?

    • Barry Choi on April 3, 2016 at 3:26 PM


      If you’re paying for the rush service, have all your documents in order, and you arrive right when they open, yes I can see you getting your passport by the end of day.

  6. Travis on May 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM

    I was just in Fort McMurrray Wildfire and did not grab passport or birth certificate. I need to fly to my friends in Atlanta Georgia USA this coming Thursday. Will this be possible in my circumstances

    • Barry Choi on May 7, 2016 at 11:43 PM


      I really can’t give you an answer on that one since your case is very unique. Your best option is going to the passport office Monday morning with any ID you do have and finding out what the procedure is.

      • Richard on April 8, 2018 at 2:27 PM

        Hi Barry.
        Would you happen to know the number of the emergency on call passport office employee in Vancouver for today. My friend needs a passport for her son so they can fly to Belize tonight with the entire family. ENERGENCY.

  7. Steve Hulaj on May 9, 2016 at 5:15 PM

    Just to let others know that some times magic happens and all the stars align. This happened last week. My son called me at 3:00pm with both him and his friend leaving for Spain on a flight leaving Ottawa at 5:00pm. This is his friends first ever Europe trip . (I’ll tell you now, the doors did close on her flight at exactly 5:00pm). Her passport expired in 30 days and Air Canada said it was not long enough room for her two week trip. (You need 90 days past expected date). So my son calls us, tells us the issue and my daughter googles and finds a close-by Passport office. So, we tell him (while he is talking at the same time to Air Canada and to her) to drop the phone, run outside with her and throw her into a cab and get to passport office about 15 mins away. We text her the address so she tells cabbie. We know she’s clueless so we rush to meet her. I parked with a quick escape route facing the exit direction. We run into office and security cannot find her, but then says “ohhh she rushed to a store in building to get photos”. We run down the building and meet her being handed photos, and she looks at them wondering if she looks nice. I ask WTF and we laugh while running back to Passport Office where we see a huge room of even more people waiting. We are told “no line jumping” so we calmly (in Canadian fashion) took a number, looked at board with 4 sets of different numbers, and then waited 20mins…and when our # was called, (It’s now 4:15pm) we jump up and explain the issue to a nice guy of her flight leaving in 45 minutes. He looks at us. We look at him. He looks at us, and then just starts talking at 100MPH. We had some paperwork completed already. The official asks some other questions then said “fill this other paper out” to my daughter, then grabs the paper, and then says “pray to whomever we pray to” and rushed away. At 4:40 we heard her name, (I take off to car) and she grabs it with my daughter and we then all run across parking lot. 6 cars are waiting to exit and traffic is a mess on main road, so they’re sitting there. I am in a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, so I head over the curb to the “entry” area, and while I will not admit that during rush hour traffic that I broke a few laws, I had time to Bluetooth into my son who is with Air Canada people to say we are on way, and she says that she could not take her backpack as it was too late for baggage. She took her underwear and tooth brush and put it in her tiny carry-on bag and as we ran into airport at 4:51, Air Canada rushed her to front of line and had the ticket printed in 120 seconds. She was then walked through to security and on board at 4:59pm. My daughter was going out next day to paris so she took her backback and they met up a few days later. It will likely go down in my Canadian Bureaucratic Public Service History as the most efficient fully follow all the procedures experience ever.

    • Barry Choi on May 9, 2016 at 5:20 PM


      What a great story! Thanks for sharing and glad your daughter made her flight.

  8. Steve Hulaj on May 10, 2016 at 9:23 AM

    I was actually her friend and my son who were traveling together. My daughter left two days later and they met up in Paris.

  9. Andria Antoniou on May 27, 2016 at 10:17 PM

    Steve Hulaj, which passport office did you go to?

  10. athena on June 6, 2016 at 11:59 PM

    We r about to drive over to new York in a couple of days and just discovered my two kids passports are expired. What should I do. Feeling disappointed.

  11. Adina on June 8, 2016 at 6:41 AM

    Temporary passports abroad are not issued same day. Average is 48-72 hours. The mission abroad needs approval from Canada and they often do not work in the same time zone. In addition, the person usually has to re-book the flight. Not always easy.

    • Barry Choi on June 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM


      Yup that’s the tricky part for travellers who are abroad and on the move. Plus, sometimes you’ll be in a location that’s nowhere near a Canadian embassy.

  12. azmina on June 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM

    hi i just have a question. i want to apply for a emergency passport and i have been in Canada almost 2 years can i apply for the emergency passport to visit my sick grandmother and can my husband be my guarantor. since he knows me more than 2 years? please reply fast. your info will be very helpful.


  13. ella on June 25, 2016 at 6:27 AM

    Can someone please confirm the forms that need to be completed for the temp passport for a child under 16 outside Canada. I have applied for my child’s passport as it got wet about 5 weeks ago. Passport Canada has been going back and forth with more and more questions that I am at my wits end. We fly out by the end of the month. Please confirm forms and documents required thanks

  14. M. Matheson (@MelissaMatheso4) on July 12, 2016 at 2:48 PM

    My drivers licence just expired and I’m living in a different province. My trip is in one month and my upstairs neighbour flooded my apartment and discoloured my passport photo. I hope I can get an emergency or new passport because of this. I don’t have any valid photo id though, only a newly expired drivers licence and a damaged passport. 🙁

  15. Michael on August 1, 2016 at 12:26 PM

    Canada is a joke. I’m from there and how such a modern country does not offer expedited services for their citizens living in the U.S. is pathetic. Doesn’t the land of socialist idiots know the world demands instant gratification? Oh Canada you will always be the weak, unintelligent little brother to the U.S.

    • Eleanor on July 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM

      Watch your mouth there kiddo!!!

  16. Judi on August 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM

    I need to get an express passport as I am heading down to the states on the 26th. The reason is because my boyfriend is entered in a rodeo and it’s a long drive for one by themselves. I have a form proof that he is entered and on what days. Would that be enough proof? Or what else would I need as proof when applying for an express passport ? Thanks

  17. katie bui on August 11, 2016 at 2:44 PM

    i have a question also, I went into the passport office today to get my new passport, im leaving august 26th, I had told the lady I could pay for rush order but she told me that my passport would be available to pic up on the 25th so theres no need for me to pay extra , after I left the office I was just scared that it might not come on time is there way I can go back and pay for express? even thought she did print me a receipt to pick up on the 25th.

    • Barry Choi on August 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM

      Hi Katie,

      If you have time, you could try to go back and get it changed, but if they’re telling you it’ll arrive in time, you should be good. I’m not 100% sure on this, but from what I recall, the 10-day orders are sent out for processing whereas they do the 24 hour service on the spot.

  18. Annie on August 18, 2016 at 6:43 PM

    We are leaving this Sunday August 21 and just checked the passports, all my kids passports are going to get expire by the end of August. If I go to the passport office right when they open, would I be able to get it by the end of the day as next day is Sat and its weekend. Please advise as I’m really stressed right now.

    • Barry Choi on August 18, 2016 at 6:48 PM


      If you have all your documents ready and arrive as soon as they open. There’s a good chance you’ll get it by the end of the day. Be sure to bring your booked travel tickets as proof.

      • Annie on August 18, 2016 at 6:53 PM


  19. Stephanie on September 8, 2016 at 4:18 PM

    Hi there! I have my itinerary from my boss for a work trip with all our names, flight numbers, and take off/landing times for the round trip. Is this sufficient for proof of travel paid in full?

    Thank you!

    • Barry Choi on September 8, 2016 at 4:22 PM

      Hi Stephanie,

      If you’re applying for urgent service (24 hours), yes it should be fine. Just make sure all your other documents are in order e.g. photos, references.

  20. Batu on September 27, 2016 at 11:26 PM

    I need to go to my country of origin as my foreign passport is expiring on this 4/10. I just became a Canadian citizen this 24/9 and have surrendered my pr card. How am I going to travel to my country of origin to renew my passport an return to Canada without a pr card?

    Thank you.

  21. Gordon on November 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM

    We were unable to pick up our sons passport from the office when it was ready and we fly out tomorrow which is Sunday. Will we get same day passport on a Saturday with all correct documents? What is the rate?

    • Barry Choi on November 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM


      Assuming your local passport office is open Saturday and you go right when it opens with all the correct information; you should be able to get your son’s passport in time.

  22. Tania on December 10, 2016 at 1:41 AM

    My son needs to apply for an urgent passport to fly out in 4 days. The office that can offer this service is 2.5 hours away. He can go apply in person Monday but needs to be back for work Tuesday morning. Can someone else pick it up for him the next day when it is ready or can we have it sent by overnight couriers?

  23. Tania on December 10, 2016 at 2:10 AM

    Thank you!

  24. Don on December 21, 2016 at 5:37 AM


    Scenario….I am in Indonesia (hoping for several more months!). I still have a valid passport for approx. 2 months. Therefore, I qualify to do a simplified renewal application. My friend is leaving in a few days to fly back to Canada. I want to print off/fill out the renewal form. provide the valid photos, and my valid passport, and give to him to drop off at the passport office in Canada. $120 for 5 year, plus $110 rush fee. Hope I have it correct up to this point. My question is…when paying for the rush/express service, am I required to pick it up in person(myself) or can my friend pick it up?? I would provide a letter requesting it be released to him if needed. I am hoping he can pick it up, so that he can then ‘rush’ mail it back to me in Indonesia (fed ex, etc). I will need as quick as possible so I have it to supply for my social visa renewal that I must do while out here visiting in Indonesia.

    Direct question….can someone else pick up my renewed passport, when using the rush service? Or will passport office arrange very prompt delivery of passport to an overseas address?

    I have been told various things. If you are aware and can clarify, that would be great!!

    • Barry Choi on December 21, 2016 at 8:47 AM

      Hi Don,

      I think the problem you’re going to run into is the fact that your friend is not a family member. This is not allowed according to the government website. It looks like you’ll have to go to Jakarta to get your passport renewed.

      Who can submit a passport application in person on my behalf?

      When applying in person, we recommend that you submit your application yourself. However, if this is not possible, the application may be submitted by a third party provided they:

      show identification,
      are 16 years of age or older,
      and are your:
      parent’s spouse or common-law partner,
      child’s spouse or common-law partner,
      brother or sister,
      half-brother or half-sister,
      stepbrother or stepsister,
      spouse or common-law partner,
      or are relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their:
      parent’s spouse or common-law partner,
      child’s spouse or common-law partner,
      brother or sister,
      half-brother or half-sister,
      stepbrother or stepsister.

      Note: In all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information on the application with the third party. Should some information on the application require validation, the inability of the third party to validate this information would be cause for refusal.

      The people in the list above may or may not reside at the same address as you. In all cases, the person must provide identification. If the identification does not prove that the person lives with you, he or she must also bring a written statement signed by you, authorizing him or her to submit your passport application.

      Any relative residing at your address can also submit an application on your behalf provided that they:

      are 16 years of age or older, and
      show identification confirming their place of residence. If the identification shown does not contain an address, further documentation to establish that the person resides at the same address as you will be required.

  25. Susan on December 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM

    If you are going to Scarborough office beside Mall then show up EARLY. I wiped in the building and the lineup starts at 7:15 am. Have a car? Then drive to Whitby office in Whitby Mall. Free parking. No stairs. Usually no lines.

  26. Susan on December 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM

    Oops meant “I work” in the building. Darn autocorrect.

    • Barry Choi on December 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM

      Thanks for sharing Susan,

      I always found that if you go when it opens it’s a bit busier. Things seem to slow down about an hour after opening hours but it varies by location.

  27. Kelly Dunning (@GlobalGoose) on January 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM

    “If by chance your whore family requires emergency weekend service; you’ll only be charged the $335 once.”

    What did you say about my family???

    Haha… just kidding. But that typo did make me laugh out loud.

    • Barry Choi on January 23, 2017 at 7:25 PM

      OMG, Thanks for catching that! It’s been there for like a month!

  28. A. Bathurst on March 6, 2017 at 7:55 PM

    I need an urgent passport because the edges of my passport have some tiny water stains on them. My flight is in 4 days. I have everything in order, and am going in the morning to request an urgent passport. Is there any reason why they might not choose to issue an emergency travel passport for a vacation?

    • Barry Choi on March 6, 2017 at 8:07 PM

      If you bring your plane ticket, and all your documents, I don’t see why you would be denied.

  29. Shirley Leong on March 11, 2017 at 4:23 PM

    Sometimes a 10 year passport is not a better deal. You can no longer add pages to a passport so if you run out of space before your 10 years are up, you have to pay for a new one. I wish I had known this before opting for a 10 year passport. I have had mine for only 2 years and many pages (10 out of 34) have been taken up with entry stamps. And, there is a requirement from some countries to have 2 facing pages blank before they will issue a visa.

    My comment would be that one should think about how much travel and to which countries one may go before opting for a 10 year passport.

    • Barry Choi on March 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM


      Very good point. If you travel a lot then a 10 year passport may not make sense.

      VISAS definitely can take up a lot of room in your passport. I’ve only needed about 5 visas so far in my travels but each one required an entire page in my passport.

  30. Perline on March 14, 2017 at 8:22 PM

    Hi i need a temporary passport for my baby. We need to go back to the Philippines within 2 days because my father-in-law just died. My baby was born here in canada just 2 months ago. We already applied for her passport but we will receive it at the end of the month. But we really need to travel to the Philippines within 2 days . Is it possible that we can get a temporary passport at the end of the day if we will go to the main office tomorrow. What are the documents that we have to bring? Thanks

    • Barry Choi on March 14, 2017 at 8:28 PM

      Hi Perline,

      Sorry to hear about your loss. I don’t work for the passport office, so I can only give you info which I think applies to your situation. I’m assuming that you applied for the standard passport for your daughter e.g. where it will be mailed to you later. The problem with these passports is that they’re processed offsite.

      I recommend heading to your local passport office tomorrow with the standard documents and explaining your situation. You’ll probably need proof of the death in the family (an email from relatives may do). They would most likely have to cancel your current passport application and reprocess you for the 24 hour passport. I suspect you’ll have to pay the full fees.

      • Perline on March 15, 2017 at 12:00 AM

        The other requirements but not the birth certificate. Thank you

        • Barry Choi on March 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM

          Unfortunately, I can’t answer that for you since I don’t work for the passport office. Based on what you’ve told me, you’ve done all you can. All you can do now is show up at the office and see if they can accommodate.

  31. Perline on March 14, 2017 at 11:55 PM

    But we still have a problem . We don’t have a birth certificate of our baby. We already submitted it together with the other documents because they asked for an original copy. We already called earlier he told us that he couldn’t see yet the name or information of our baby . He told us to go to the main office. Do you think its ok to go there without the birth certificate. We don’t have a copy anymore. But we can bring the required documents. Do you think they will still give us the temporary passport with in 24 hours? Thank you

  32. Lyne on March 15, 2017 at 3:20 AM

    In Brisbane, Australia. Send our passports for renewal Feb 9, 2017. Received by the Sydney Embassy on Feb 10th, 2017. Today is March 15th and we still haven’t received out passports. I have emailed and went though all the telephone message hoops and still cannot get a human to talk to. We have this emergency that came up – we have just sold our home back in Canada. Possession date: May 1. Which mean, we have a short time to fly there, sort, sell, organized, pack and move as well as meet the buyer’s demands.

    Today, after 3 days of leaving emergency messages, and sending emails, we got a someone that called us and said that our passports were in Canada and that it will take another 15-20 days to get back to Brisbane.
    If we get a temporary passports, we have to fly to Sydney to get it. But this will not be ready for another 7-10 days.
    Totally frustrated and not sure why we have Embassies overseas as there is no way to get support /assistance.
    Anyone has any advice, phone numbers or contacts Stressing out in Brisbane…

    • Barry Choi on March 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM

      Hi Lyne,

      Unfortunately, it sounds like you’re at the mercy of the Government.

      The only thing I can think of is to see if you can have someone in Canada pick up the passports for you and then have them express post (with signature) them to you via Purolator or FedEx.

  33. Danielle on March 16, 2017 at 10:39 PM

    We are leaving on a trip to las Vegas from Canada on Sunday, today is thursday evening and i noticed on my friends passport that it says the wrong gender on his. The closest passport centre that does urgent passports is 8 hours away and they are closed on weekends. Should he just try and see if they notice?

    • Barry Choi on March 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM

      Hi Danielle,

      That’s not a risk I would take. Even if your friend gets through on the way to the U.S., there’s no guarantee she’ll get through on the way back. Have you called 1.800.567.6868 to get advice yet?

      • Danielle on March 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM

        they are not open till tomorrow. Its 8:00pm here.

        • Danielle on March 16, 2017 at 11:09 PM

          Other option is driving down tonight to be there for opening at 7:30 am and hope that we can get it before the end of the day.

          • Barry Choi on March 16, 2017 at 11:15 PM

            That would be your “safest” option.

  34. Laura on March 17, 2017 at 8:52 PM

    Does a child (3) need to be present when applying for an urgent passport or can I go without hm?

    • Barry Choi on March 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM


      I would imagine if you have the photos and documents, they don’t need to be present, but I’d call the office to confirm that.

  35. Rosat Janny on March 20, 2017 at 4:13 AM


  36. David on March 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM

    Hi there,

    I am currently travelling overseas in Australia and have lost my passport a few months ago. I finally got a physical copy of my birth certificate but don’t have enough sufficient supporting ID. Will I be able to apply for an emergency passport if I am lacking my supporting ID? What are my options with this as I am currently travelling abroad without identification now.

    • Barry Choi on March 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM

      Hi David,

      As I’m not a government employee, I can’t advise you on exactly what you need. I recommend calling the consulate or embassy to find out what steps to take next.

  37. Myles on April 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM

    This number does not work on weekends. The closest you can get to a real person is a recording that says “Our office is currently closed”. This is also listed on the Canadian passport website as their general number. Not much use in an emergency.

    • Barry Choi on April 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM

      Hey Myles,

      Thanks for the info. I swear this was the emergency number when I last checked. I’ll make an update.

  38. Ima Prisoner on April 13, 2017 at 10:11 PM

    I became a Canadian Citizen in 1978. November 2016 I began the passport process due to dual citizen changes in order to re enter Canada. When I got to the passport office I was told they no longer honour the citizenship document I hold. Horrors!. No public advisement, no personal notification. Suddenly I cannot get a passport unless I get another ciitzenship document taking 6 months and costing $2000. The process is twofold. Applying for Citizenship and passport each with separate fees, original documents to and from Sydney N.S and Gatineau Hull not to mention they dont even accept the same pictures, plus couriers etc,.There is no real proof that you can offer the .passport office. Only the government keeps the true record but they dont want to check on your behalf. Its now 6 months later and I am no where near applying for a new citizenship document as passport office has all my original documents and my $160 for a 10yr passport. I have complained 4 times and called 10 times. Now they say they will not enter into any more discussion. I only had two responses from them with rules about all accepted documents from decades past but nothing about 1978. I was never sent for photo session or issued a plastic card 1978 Manitoba but they say different. I wish I could find other Cdns who became citizens in Wpg Aug 31 1978.

    • Barry Choi on April 13, 2017 at 10:14 PM


      Sorry to hear about your circumstances. Have you contacted your local MP to see if they can assist?

  39. June on April 18, 2017 at 8:08 AM

    I am a permanent resident in Australia. I sent in my application to renew my Canadian passport on March 1st. Around the 12th of April I was told one photo needed signing which was my error. I had new photos taken that day and sent express post which they received last Thursday. My flight overseas to Europe leaves on May 2nd. I can’t find anywhere where there is actually a form to fill out or that tells you the exact requirements for a temporary passport. Does anyone know where I can find that as I have checked all government sites. It is very frustrating when you can’t speak to anyone at the Canadian Consulate in Sydney. I may get my passport in time but as it is so close to my trip, I think I will have to apply for a temporary passport. The problem is, they have all my original documents and id, so I gather they will be able to access this info when issuing a temporary passport if it comes to this.

    • Barry Choi on April 18, 2017 at 9:02 AM

      Hey June,

      Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer for you as I don’t work for the government. Hopefully, you can get a temporary passport in time, but there’s no guarantee since it sort of depends on where it’s being processed. If I were in your situation, I would look into costs for postponing my departure date.

  40. Kurt on April 23, 2017 at 1:54 AM

    Hi Barry, have a bit of a catch-22 question for you. Friends are planning on going to the U.S. in early May and I need to renew passport. I’m in Edmonton so I can try for an urgent/express. Most advice I’ve seen says I should bring proof of travel but I haven’t booked yet as I want to make sure I can get a passport first (catch-22). Flight would be 12 days from today. Should I book it first? Or would they issue an express passport renewal without proof of travel? Thanks very much for your help.

    • Barry Choi on April 23, 2017 at 7:21 AM

      Hi Kurt,

      If you’re requesting an Express passport (as opposed to urgent) which takes 2-9 business days, they likely won’t care that you don’t have your flights booked yet. When you go to apply (let’s say you do this Monday). They’ll give you an exact date of pickup so you’ll know if you’ll have it on time. If the timing is too late, you can request the urgent process instead.

  41. Kurt on April 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM

    Thanks very much for the advice Barry.

  42. Nya on May 4, 2017 at 6:30 PM

    I’ve lost every single piece of I’d I have made a police report the same day everywgere I go is asking for proof of I’d and now I’ve heard my grandmother is very very sick In Sudan and I want to visit her ASAP . I am a Canadian citizen but lost my citizenship too I want to visit her by the end of the month only thing I’ve gotten is a health card
    Can I still get a passport without any documentation ? The flight is $2000 so I wouldn’t get it right away just in case they say no

    • Barry Choi on May 4, 2017 at 9:18 PM

      Hi Nya,

      I don’t work for Passport Canada so I get give you a definite answer, but without the right ID, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get a passport soon. I suggest you call the passport office to get advice.

  43. celine ramos on May 10, 2017 at 11:26 PM

    Good day! Last May 09, 2017 I took an oath for Canadian Citizenship, i am not expecting that they took my PR card and did not return because they said it will be change to Canadian passport but my problem is I am leaving this coming 27th of May 2017 for my vacation and I am really worried because I don’t have a new passport could you please advise me what to do to have a request of emergency application of my new passport? and also what are the requirements for application of a rush passport? thank you.

    • Barry Choi on May 10, 2017 at 11:33 PM

      Hi Celine,

      You’re in a unique situation so I recommend contacting your closest passport office ASAP. That being said, this is what I think will happen. As you are now a Canadian Citizen, you no longer have a PR card. That means you can apply for a Canadian Passport with your regular ID.

      Assuming you meet all the requirements and have the necessary paperwork ready, you shouldn’t have any issues getting a passport. If you apply by Friday, you’ll probably only need express service. If you don’t get to it until next week, urgent service is probably the better bet.

      There’s technically no additional requirements for urgent services, but they may ask you to prove you will be travelling soon. Since you have your trip planned, that shouldn’t be a problem.

  44. Geoff hulet on June 5, 2017 at 10:58 AM

    Hey I’m just wondering if there is a list of countries that accept Canadian 12 month temporary passports. I’m in Hong Kong, about to fly out to Amsterdam this morning, but my passport expires in 86 days, so I couldn’t board the flight. I’ve gone to the embassy and should have my temp passport by Wednesday. I’m just wondering as I’m planning on traveling to Amsterdam, France, morocco and England, before coming home to Canada. If this will be a problem, also one of my flights transits through Moscow airport? Is this a problem, it’s just a two hour layover, but I’ve been reading things about some countries not accepting temp visas. Most important to me is France, can I get into France with a Canadian 12 month temp visa?

  45. Geoff hulet on June 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM

    Need a response as soon as possible , thanks! Very helpful article by the way

    • Barry Choi on June 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM

      Hi Geoff,

      I doubt there’s a list available as it’s up to each individual country to decide what they do or do not allow. You would have to check with each individual country. I would advise speaking to the closest embassy to you.

      Sorry that I couldn’t have been of more assistance, but this is a very specific scenario which I do not have the answer to.

  46. Karen on June 27, 2017 at 7:27 PM

    Hi Barry!!
    I’m in a little bit of a pickle here and was wondering if you would perhaps have an answer to this issue. I had lost my passport several months ago (called and cancelled it as a precaution) and now have booked a trip to fly to Los Angeles in two weeks. Because it’s been quite a while since I applied for a new passport I didn’t realize that I would need my citizenship. Now, my citizenship is currently sitting in a safe in my parents home…the issue is they are away and cannot physically get it out of the safe as I don’t even have the keys to their door let alone the keys to the safe which they took with them. I do however have a copy of my citizenship as well as all other required documents and even my old old passport that I had before the one that I lost which I could show to them to prove that I have in fact had a Canadian passport and have travelled many many times since becoming a citizen well over 10 years ago. I am just terrified that I will not be able to make this trip because I’ve already booked the flight and the airbnb costing over $2000 and all that money will be lost if I cannot go 🙁

    • Barry Choi on June 27, 2017 at 7:36 PM

      Hi Karen,

      I would advise calling the closest passport office right away but I suspect a photocopy of your citizenship will not be good enough.

      If this proves to be true, I would check with your airline and Airbnb to see if you can get a credit of some sort.

      • Karen on June 27, 2017 at 7:48 PM

        Unfortunately the flight is non refundable since it was an online deal and the Airbnb will only return half the cost if cancelled. This is making me really nervous

  47. Angelo on August 2, 2017 at 12:13 PM

    My Canadian passport has been suspended for 5 years from Family Responsibility Office. I’m currently in Greece using my greek passport. I was born in Greece but I am a Canadian Citizen since 1978. I called the Canadian Embassy in Athens and they told me that I cannot come back to Canada without a valid canadian passport. They suggest I fill out a form of emergency canadian passport one day use. I don’t know where i can find the form. My return ticket back to Canada is August 31. Can you help?

    • Barry Choi on August 2, 2017 at 2:29 PM

      Hi Angelo,

      Unfortunately, I can’t help you as I do not work for the passport office. It seems odd that you can’t travel with your European Union passport. Normally, you would have no problem entering the country with that. From what I understand, if you need an emergency passport while overseas, you must do it in person. In your case, you may have to travel to Athens.

  48. bryan on August 27, 2017 at 4:47 PM

    I dnot have a Canadian passport. Can I just show my drivers license to get into USA from ab can

  49. Lauren on August 28, 2017 at 6:48 PM

    Hello! Wonder if you can help…my mom is trying to get her passport. She has all of her documents, pictures and signatures in order. She went to the office and they flat out denied her because she didn’t have her marriage certificate. My dad passed away and she was divorced for many years. She tried calling her church but it’s no longer there and her pastor died. She tried to do it online to get a copy but this could take 6 to 8 weeks. My wedding is in 1 month. She called head office of passport division and they said that this is ridiculous and she could get a temporary passport… Is this true? Please… My mom missed my shower cause she was I’ll… I really need her at my wedding! Help!!!

    • Barry Choi on August 28, 2017 at 6:54 PM

      Hi Lauren,

      I don’t work for the passport so I can only give you my opinion. Based on your info, a temporary passport does sound like it should be issued. Your mom should try to ask the head division to send her an email that verifies this is the case. Better yet, have them send an email to the local passport office.

      I would also advise her call the supervisor at the local office to see what can be done. It’s also worth checking with other nearby offices to see if they’re slightly more understanding.

  50. Dale Whittleton on September 4, 2017 at 1:48 PM

    I am Canadian citizen residing in the U.S. with a “Green Card”. I had booked travel to Fiji leaving yesterday 9-3-17 and returning on 10-26-17. My passport expires on 11-15-17 and when I went to check in for the flight last night I was told that the passport needs to be valid for 6 months beyond the end of the travel. I am in Los Angeles. Is there a way to get a temporary passport extension through the Canadian consulate. Thank you

  51. Sharon on September 8, 2017 at 4:00 AM

    I just flew to San Francisco for my nephew’s wedding and I’m only here until sunday. It’s 1:00 Friday am. I just realized that I somehow lost my Canadian passport. I’m freaking out! My flight back is non-refundable. I don’t have my pp number nor copies. I’m here for my nephew’s wedding & there are back to back events all weekend. Help! What do I do? I’m actually in Palo Alto.

    • Sharon on September 8, 2017 at 4:02 AM

      I see there’s a consulate in Palo Alto but I’m not sure they have emergency services. How can I fly back on Sunday?! Thanks for your help. I’m sobbing & so stressed out!

      • Barry Choi on September 8, 2017 at 8:45 AM

        Hi Sharon,

        Unfortunately, you’ll likely have to wait until Monday when the consulate is open to get new documents. There’s no way to fly back without a passport.

        The best things you can do now is have your documents ready and try your best to enjoy your nephew’s wedding.

        Head to the consulate Monday as soon as they open and you might be able to get a new or emergency passport by the end of the day which may allow you to catch a Monday night or Tuesday morning flight home. Don’t book any new flights until you’ve spoken to the consulate about processing times.

  52. C. Monitoy on September 27, 2017 at 7:00 PM

    I tried to get an express passport today as I don’t have tickets booked but have a sick father who resides in Texas, and would like to have it on hand asap, in case I need to fly without much warning.

    I was told this wasn’t a good enough reason, despite my willingness to pay for that option. Are there set guidelines, or do you just get lucky with a good passport agent at the office?

    • Barry Choi on September 27, 2017 at 7:35 PM

      C. Monitoy,

      Unfortunately, the passport office requires a booked ticket for urgent and express service. You could apply for a regular passport, but if your father’s condition worsen’s, you may not get it in time.

      What you could do is book a fully refundable ticket with any airline that departs in a week. With that in hand, you would qualify for urgent and express service. As soon as Passport Canada accepts your application, just cancel your ticket.

      Make sure that ticket is 100% refundable.

      • C. Monitoy on September 27, 2017 at 8:29 PM

        That is a great idea, thank you! Would I need to book tickets for my 13 and 16 year olds also, or would they process them as a group?

        • Barry Choi on September 27, 2017 at 8:32 PM

          C. Monitoy,

          I would suspect you would all need tickets.

  53. Sarah on October 15, 2017 at 12:12 AM


    I’ve been reading all these posts and they seem to be very positive in regards to an emergency passports that are needed. I am in the same predicament at the moment. I am a frequent traveller and always have my passport ready but this time I completely forgot it had expired and I fly out in a day and a half. I’ve phoned the emergency line and left them a voicemail but I do not know if I will be allowed to get an emergency passport in such a short amount of time. I have the itinerary printed that has my information of my flight and hotel stay on it and all documents ready to go.

    But I was talking with someone recently and essentially they stated that their sibling had the same issue and the passport office told them and it was their fault that they waited so long and refused to give them an emergency passport. Is it based off of what the passport office feels is necessary or is it if you have all your documents? I’m getting very worried since everything is non-refundable (i’ve called the airlines and the hotel). Any help is much appreciated!

    • Barry Choi on October 15, 2017 at 12:20 AM

      Hi Sarah,

      Since you have confirmed travel plans e.g. plane tickets booked and your supporting materials e.g photos, application, guarantor, then there’s no reason the passport office would deny processing your application.

      Weekend service is near impossible, but if you arrived at the office Monday morning, you should have passport by the end of the day.

  54. Mark Waldner on November 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM

    Can I still rush order when I have already handed in my passport papers

    • Mark Waldner on November 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM

      Canadian passport that is

    • Barry Choi on November 22, 2017 at 3:26 PM

      When you handed in your papers and paid your fee, you would have had to make the rush order request at that time. Urgent and express service is done onsite whereas regular service is usually shipped out for processing.

      • Mark Waldner on November 25, 2017 at 6:42 AM

        The problem is I handed in my papers thinking I got lots of time three days later I get a call to go to work and the company needs my passport info. right away so I’m wondering if I can still go and rush it. Or once my papers are handed in I have to wait? Thanks in advance for the info.

        • Barry Choi on November 25, 2017 at 8:57 AM

          Hi Mark,

          Unfortunately, since it’s already processing, you’ll have to wait.

  55. Nyago on November 25, 2017 at 9:41 PM

    Hi Choi,

    I’m in a predicament..I am a Canadian citizen and had been away for the last 2 years. I recently had to relocate back to Canada for work and had to leave my 6 month daughter (who was born in in Tanzania) and I didn’t have enough time to submit her Canadian passport before I left Tanzania. I’m planning to travel back to Tanzania to get her and bring her to Canada with me. Since she is in Tanzania at the moment can I apply for her passport in Canada since I’m her mother even though she was born abroad and does not reside in Canada. I’ll also be applying for a rushed passport since I have booked our flight back (Tanzania to Canada) for 31st December. Please advice.


    • Barry Choi on November 25, 2017 at 9:51 PM

      Hi Nyago,

      This is outside my scope of knowledge. I would advise checking directly with the passport office to find out what needs to be done to get her passport.

  56. What Is The Cost Of A Canadian Passport on December 4, 2017 at 10:33 PM

    […] Getting an emergency can be a stressful process but depending on your location and circumstances, it… […]

  57. Laurie kent on December 30, 2017 at 7:46 PM

    Hi i was in Mexico this past November and my passport went missing I went to the Canadian embassy and got the emergency travel one for the day I was leaving g only that day I thought when this was being processed that I would get the 5 year passport but did not. Is that the way it should be the emergency one one cost 120.00 thanks for your help

    • Barry Choi on December 30, 2017 at 7:49 PM

      Hi Laurie,

      When you get a temporary passport, normally you’re required to apply for a regular passport at the same time. In this case it sounds like you just got the temporary one and you would need to apply for a new 5 or 10 year passport now that you’re home.

  58. Laurie kent on December 30, 2017 at 8:13 PM

    Thanks so much. For your quick reply

  59. Christopher Carscallen on January 3, 2018 at 12:22 PM

    Hi Barry, my wife and I leave this coming Friday, with our 3 kids, for Mexico. I know many countries say that you need the 6 month rule for passports, but I did find a reputable website that said this was not the case for Canadians visiting Mexico. It even had a link the gov’t of Mexico’s website, which also stated this. What do you know about this? The reason I ask is my wife’s passport expires next month and there is a lot of mixed information out there. Here is the link –

    Thx Barry!

  60. Emilie on January 20, 2018 at 7:50 AM

    My sons passport has some water damage but is all legible but when he went to passport office to renew, after hour and half wait they would not accept his passport. They said he needs apply as if its the first time. Problem is he has no other photo ID except an expired drivers licence. He has old red and white health card, works for a company that doest have ID cards. We travel in a week and we have paid tickets. All the ontario cards ie health and age of majority take 4 weeks.
    Any ideas?

    • Barry Choi on January 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM

      Hi Emilie,

      Unfortunately, I can’t give you any more advice than what the passport office told you. If they require certain types of identification to process a new passport for your son, then that’s what you’ll need to provide them with. Sorry I couldn’t help you more.

  61. Michelle on February 28, 2018 at 3:25 PM

    I suggest calling you local Mp for help or reach out to your minister of immigration and citizenship. All in the process right now for my little on who is 4, there was a minor mistake on her birth certificate that needed to be amendent(father’s bday was of by one day. The 11 in stead of 12, min or couter error. BUT has been a huge hassle). It has now, but still waiting for approval from the (council) I guess. We fly out on saturday. Hopefully it will workout.

  62. Michelle on February 28, 2018 at 3:27 PM

    Minor computer error. Is what I meant

  63. Brett on March 10, 2018 at 10:46 PM

    I thought my PP expired at the end of 2018 but of course it was 2017. I’m playing in a hockey tournament in the USA in 5 days and plan to drive. I don’t have an enhanced license and wondering if you think a written declaration of travel and hotel confirmation justifies urgent service?

    • Barry Choi on March 11, 2018 at 8:57 AM


      Since you have a confirmed hotel reservation and documentation of travel, you should qualify for urgent service.

  64. Penny on March 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM

    And if you’re abroad as a Canadian citizen and your passport gets stolen, if you don’t have friends or family back in Canada you’re royally screwed. That’s where I discovered the hard way that it was much better to go with the country of my mother’s birth and just be a French citizen. The French Embassies aren’t all about me needing to have people back in France or else I’m “not French.” Or “not a French citizen.” I once got rejected for a Canadian passport because I didn’t have references back in Canada. Screw that. I’m glad I’m French.

  65. Chris on March 22, 2018 at 1:37 AM

    I have been told and received a receipt saying that my urgent passport will be ready on Friday. The lady at service Canada is ticked that I left my passport to expire and told me that there are no guarantees that it will be ready by Friday. Do you know if they usually have it ready by the the pickup time on the reciept?

    • Barry Choi on March 22, 2018 at 6:46 AM

      Generally speaking, your passport will be ready by the receipt date, but as staff indicated, there’s never technically a gaurantee

  66. Sam on March 23, 2018 at 1:05 PM

    If I need the urgent service for work (joining a ship). Would a letter from the employer be enough or are they really picky about urgent service. Thanks

    • Barry Choi on March 23, 2018 at 1:15 PM


      An employment letter would likely be good enough assuming it has a start time. That being said, if you already have your airfare booked, I’d bring that as proof too.

  67. Neiven on April 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM

    if I have Canadian passport and I’m from syria should I have to get visa for travelling to Denmark

    • Barry Choi on April 4, 2018 at 2:00 PM

      Hi Neiven,

      Since you’re applying with a Canadian passport, you shouldn’t have any issues. That being said, it’s up to government officials to decide if the Visa is granted or not. You’re better off applying ASAP or speaking to the consulate.

  68. Mrs.Rachael.Elaine killarney on April 7, 2018 at 6:06 AM


    Get a personal loan without any security or guarantor with minimum documentation.
    WhatsApp Messenger : +1518546548
    thank you
    Mrs.Rachael.Elaine killarney

  69. adrienne Charles on April 30, 2018 at 3:57 PM

    i am in panama city and passport was stolen on saturday and it seems the local office will be closed until wednesday. I was supposed to leave panama today to fly to cartagena but do not currently have a flight as I was on my way to the office to buy it when the passport was stolen. Along with my drivers licence so I dont have actual photo id right now. I have copies of my passport and drivers license. I also obtained the police document stating the passport was stolen. my return to canada is on June 27 from San jose costa rica, but was planning to travel to at least colombia in that time before returning to costa rica.

    what kind of travel document do you think I am eligible for?

    What would you suggest I do to prepare for when the embassy is open? Fill in the application? Get passport photos? I have asked some canadian friends to be my references. Also, do you think I should buy a ticket to go to Colombia several days hence so they will allow me to travel there?

    thank you

    • Barry Choi on April 30, 2018 at 4:04 PM

      Hey Adrienne,

      Sorry to hear about your situation. I suspect the embassy will issue you a temporary passport, but you’ll find out when you head there.

      Since you’re dealing with an embassy, it’s best to just arrive and ask them what you need to provide. I think given that you’re already in another country without a passport, they’ll likely issue you one ASAP. You could show them your missed flight as proof you were planning to travel.

      Getting photos done in advance is a good idea, but filling out the application might be premature as I’m not sure if there’s a different procedure for a temporary passport.

  70. Joanne Cencic on May 28, 2018 at 4:58 PM

    Hi, I am a Canadian living in Green Bay,Wi. I already have a plane ticket to Montreal for June 8th 2018. My question is can I have a family member from Montreal, Canada take all my paperwork and documents to Passport Canada to get me a passport
    expedited the same day and the family member can Fed Ex it to me here in the States????

  71. Anonymous on June 6, 2018 at 1:23 AM

    We are planning on going away next month. However, My passport expired over a year ago so I need to apply for a new passport. They require proof of my citizenship but the problem is I legally changed my name and I didn’t change my citizenship card to show the new name. I was told that I can’t just bring my change of name certificate along with my citizenship card. I would have to apply for a new citizenship certificate and this process could take 5 months. What can I do? Who can I contact?

    • Barry Choi on June 6, 2018 at 8:31 AM

      You should speak directly to passport Canada. If they’re the ones who said you need a new citizenship card, then there’s not much you can do about it.

  72. Irene Kim on June 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM

    I just lost my passport and have to reapply urgently because i will be flying out to indonesia in a week.
    However i dont have the original copies of my proof of citizenship. Only a photocopy of my birthcertificate, or a copy of my old passport that i lost.
    Is there a way i can get a new passport urgently without these documents? Or a temporary one atleast

    • Barry Choi on June 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM

      Hi Irene,

      Without the original copies of your citizenship, getting a replacement passport might be tough. You should check with your local passport office as soon as they open on Monday.

  73. Shany on July 1, 2018 at 11:16 AM

    If you lose your passport abroad, how do you get a guarantor to sign your new passport application and photo?
    I have all the forms and police report (was stolen) and new photos, and will go to the embassy, but don’t have a guarantor local here to sign my stuff…

    • Barry Choi on July 1, 2018 at 11:19 AM


      If I recall correctly, you don’t need your photos signed when abroad. They will likely call your guarantors so be sure that whoever you use knows that a call may come.

  74. Shany on July 1, 2018 at 11:25 AM

    Thanks! Makes sense
    Happy Canada day 🙂

  75. Amber on July 2, 2018 at 12:48 AM

    Hi there, I am in a mess because my children and I are meant to fly from Vancouver to the UK this Tuesday but I have only just realized their passports expired 2 months ago! I have to let my airline know 24 hours before our flight (so by 4pm tomorrow) if we need to change/cancel our flights which will still cost us $300 per person! Passport offices are closed and as it is a stat tomorrow they will be closed tomorrow too…I am at my wits end as I don’t know whether to risk driving to Vancouver ( we live 7 hours away!) to go to the office as soon as it opens tues am to try and get the kids urgent passports. Our flight is at 4pm so I am thinking that won’t be enough time…any advice?

    • Barry Choi on July 2, 2018 at 6:43 AM

      Hi Amber,

      Are there any later flights available Tuesday night? You’d likely be able to catch a flight from Vancouver at 8pm, but I don’t think there’s a chance you make your 4pm flight. Alternatively, you can move your flight to Wednesday and spend Tuesday night in Vancouver.

      If you have all your documents in order, you’ll get your passports by 5pm Tuesday.

  76. Trevor Williams on July 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM

    Hi Barry

    My passport expired a while back. I would like to visit family in Europe in about 2 Weeks. I think I need the urgent service as the express service is 2-9 biz days and that is cutting it too fine. There is no family emergency but I am prepared to book and pay for the flight and show prof of travel ( the airline permits

    24 hour cancellation). My question is whether the passport office insist on illness or death of a family member, or is prof of travel sufficient. Thank in advance. Trevor

    • Barry Choi on July 12, 2018 at 8:56 AM

      Hi Trevor,

      Proof of travel is usually good enough to get urgent service.

      I would advise getting all your paperwork in order right away (and booking your flights) and then heading to the passport office to process your passport. They can usually tell you the EXACT day your passport will be ready so there’s no need to pay for urgent service if express service will do.

  77. […] Travel planning is a lot of work. Making travel plans and having to turn back when you get to the border because you forgot to renew your passports is awful. Make sure you know what travel documents you need for your destination, whether it be Visas, vaccinations or new passports. Visas can often be purchased at the point of origin, but you will likely have to wait in line and are sometimes subject to additional fees. For passports, there are ways to get those renewed with a few days notice, but you will be under a lot of stress so better to renew it when you still have some leeway. For emergency passport applications in Canada, click here. […]

  78. Denise on July 17, 2018 at 4:11 AM

    I am due to fly from London to Canada on Thursday (19th). Horrifed when I got my passport ready today that it expired in April. Do you know if I can get a temporary passport from the Canadian Embassy in London at such short notice. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

    • Barry Choi on July 17, 2018 at 5:48 AM


      I think you should qualify. If you haven’t already, head to the embassy immediately with your paperwork.

  79. Leona on August 16, 2018 at 9:53 AM

    Hi Barry, very informative article. We rarely think about what to do in emergencies like when we lose a passport in a foreign country. Great work on the article

  80. Joyce Mahar on September 18, 2018 at 11:10 AM

    Can I use a bank draft made out to Reciever General for Canada for passport fees.. I tried to get Canadian money order but my bank do not do money orders instead do bank drafts. Is it acceptable to use a bank draft?

    • Barry Choi on September 18, 2018 at 3:14 PM

      Hi Joyce,

      You would have to check with the office that is processing your passport to see if they accept bank drafts.

  81. Jeffrey Pond on October 20, 2018 at 10:35 AM

    My son arrived at the airport thinking his mother has his passport and didn’t, for a vacation to the US.
    How does he get a passport expedited on the weekend when nothings open. Ridiculous that the passort office is M-F when people travel 24/7.

  82. Chitra on November 3, 2018 at 8:43 PM

    Hi Barry I’m so worried my father pass away and I dont have passport for my kids and I have ticket to travel on Tuesday would I be able to get urgent passports for my 2 kids ?

    • Barry Choi on November 4, 2018 at 5:37 AM


      If you airfare booked for your kids, you should be able to get them passports on Monday if you head to the passport office when they open.

  83. carolina murialdo on November 11, 2018 at 2:06 PM

    help! my dad just called me with a total emergency: it’s sunday, him and his wife are leaving for chile in about 6 hours and she didn’t realize her passport was expired…is there anything that can be done?
    much appreciate your response.

    • Barry Choi on November 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM

      Hi Caroline.

      She’ll need to delay her flight as it’ll be near impossible to get her passport done today. If she goes first thing in the morning with all the right documents, she should have a new passport by 5pm.

  84. carolina murialdo on November 11, 2018 at 2:20 PM

    thank you so much for the quick answer!

  85. Elizabeth Silva on November 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM

    I’m currently living in Argentina and my Canadian passport expired . I’m also a Chilean citizen would I be able to enter Canada with a Chilean passport and then renew my passport at home. I’m returning to live in canada as well as attending my brothers wedding. I live in Mendoza and the closest embassies are in Buenos Aires or Santiago. .any info would help . I didn’t plan to attend my bothers wedding as I didn’t have the money , but my parents said they would buy my ticket . He gets married 11/24/2018

  86. Arjun on November 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM

    Hi Barry, My sister who is Canadian and holding Canadian PP, is studying medicine in Sydney, Australia now. She has her flight to Singapore on this Sunday and we just realised her PP is expiring on 14th of May, which made her now unable to fly to Singapore. She has her last exam tomorrow And then she has Thursday and Friday free. She has all the documents and present passport with her. As her plan is to fly to Singapore then to India and back to Canada later we paid more than 3000$ for the flight and hotels. All of these are non refundable too. At this point which on is the better and possibly option?? Renewing PP or applying for a temporary one? (She can call the consulate tomorrow morning but the google reviews say they hardly picking up any calls, in that case your suggestions will be a big help to us at the moment)

    • Barry Choi on November 20, 2018 at 10:06 AM

      Hi Arjun,

      If the Canadian consulate is able to process a new passport within those two days, I would just do that. Either way, your sister would have to show up in person ASAP to get it done.

      • Arjun on November 20, 2018 at 5:58 PM

        Thank you Barry, She called the consulate just a while ago and they informed they can’t give a new passport in 2 days but can give a temporary one. Now the issue is is it possible to travel other countries than Canada with temporary passport? She has to apply for the Indian visa too. It might be out of the context, but if you have any information regarding this will be much helpful.

        • Barry Choi on November 20, 2018 at 6:12 PM


          As far as I know, a temporary passport gives you the same travel privileges as an official one. It’s likely just issued when they don’t have enough time to get an official one processed in time. I have no idea about the Indian visa so I can’t comment there.

  87. Arjun on November 20, 2018 at 7:30 PM

    Thank you for the quick responses Barry, Really Appropriate it. The people from Consulate in Sydney advised her to confirm with Singapore and Indian authorities if they allow enter their countries with temporary Canadian passport. Now we have to check with them regarding this. Thanks again 🙂

    • Arjun on December 15, 2018 at 5:30 AM

      The trip ended and wanted to give the real world facts we experienced.

      Firstly the consulate staff in Sydney was very kind and helpful and they provided the needful to my sister to apply for the
      Temporary passport. They provided the passport next day morning. Was super frightened as we saw many bad comments and reviews in the google map for the consulate but the real experience was totally different and would give them 10 out of 10 points.
      Next step i called the Singapore embassy in Sydney to know if the immigration will allow her to enter the country with Temp.PP, they advised to call the Immigration office in Singapore and i called them. The person told there is only 50-50 chance to her as they can’t provide any official confirmation as the time is very short.( called them on Thursday and the flight was Sunday, they required 3 working days for the official note) As we had no other choice she decided to fly to Singapore. No issues at the Australian Emigration and the airlines also allowed her to board ( I called the airlines before and got their confirmation that they would board her with Temp PP).
      In Singapore they didn’t bother anything and they treated it as a normal passport. We were so delightful and ya you can enter Singapore with Temp Canadian PP. Now we got another issue as you can’t apply for a e-Visa to India with a Temp PP. We went to the Indian Embassy in Singapore and they told they can’t give any visa as we were tourist. Still i can’t believe it as i read in a forum mentioning US Indian Embassy had provided a visa for a person with Germany Temp PP. But we had no other choice though we booked both the tickets from Singapore to Chennai and Chennai to Canada. We cancelled the ticket and was looking for any other opportunities.
      Later we decided to travel to Malaysia as Canadian PP holders no need any visa. We called the Malaysian embassy in Singapore for a confirmation regarding the Temp PP & they confirmed as long as the PP has 6 month validity the person can enter the country. We booked the ticket to KL and flew. In the Kuala lumpur Airport immigration officer asked regarding the temp PP but as she told regarding the expiry date issue the officer didn’t ask further questions and stamped the PP.
      After 5 days we were getting ready to fly back to Canada and for the price reason we chose Air China. In the Airport, during the check in, Airlines staff asked regarding the Temp PP. She explained the issue and showed the old PP and the staff talked to someone over the phone and allowed her to board. And also told her to show the old PP if any one asked at the Beijing airport regarding the old PP. But fortunately there were no such questions at the Beijing airport and we came home safely. 2 days back she got her new PP too.
      Sorry for the long story but wanted others to know regarding these issues as all of these things totally depend on the officers at the immigration desk. I would suggest any one in such situation to call the relevant embassy and get an official mail or confirmation to avoid last minute disappointments.

      Some other facts : you need minimum 2 visa pages in order to obtain a visa or enter a country & the temp PP comes with 4 visa pages. (For some countries 1 page is enough). For now there is an official document that you can’t enter Indonesia with Temp Canadian PP but you can obtain a visa and travel. But again, read a thread in Trip adviser where, it’s mentioned that one senior immigration officer allowed a person to enter the Bali island without visa as they treated the Temp PP as normal one and provided visa on arrival. So it’s all about the officials at the desks. Good luck all.

  88. Ruby on December 18, 2018 at 5:39 PM

    Hi Barry. Thanks for those informations. Did windsor passport office do the weekend emergency service??

    • Barry Choi on December 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM

      Hi Ruby,

      I have no idea, you’d have to call them.

  89. Will on December 22, 2018 at 4:45 PM

    I was unable to get on my flight this morning to Mexico due to water damage. Which application form do we need to fill out for an urgent passport request?

  90. Ruby on December 24, 2018 at 10:35 PM

    Hii. Do you know if the case is urgent. I can apply for the passport in the morning and take it after few hours?

    • Barry Choi on December 25, 2018 at 1:11 PM


      The Government of Canada clearly states what qualifies as urgent e.g. you’re travelling soon with proof of travel or a death in the family with proof of the death. A few hours is possible, but usually you’d have to arrive when the office opens and pick it up around the end of the day.

  91. Zarr on December 29, 2018 at 1:19 AM

    Hi I am traveling on Jan 3rd to Mexico and I lost my passport!! I have my citizenship card, do you think I can get my passport replaced before the 3rd?? I usually go to Mississauga office Thank you

    • Barry Choi on December 29, 2018 at 6:28 AM

      Hi Zarr,

      If you have all the necessary documents, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to get your passport on the 31st or 2nd. Go ASAP and as soon as the office opens.

  92. Liz Virera on January 17, 2019 at 9:46 PM

    Hi Barry
    My name is Liz
    How long it takes to get a new Canadian passaport in Dominican Republic?
    My sister lost it, we already sent to her 2 pieces of ID

    • Barry Choi on January 17, 2019 at 9:53 PM

      Hi Liz,

      As I don’t work for the passport office or the Canadian government, there’s no way I can answer your question.

  93. Lloyd on February 14, 2019 at 9:55 PM

    Hi Barry,
    My daughter passport picture got faded on her mouth and chain area due to a drop of some fluid, we are a canadian citizen and at the moment were here in the philippines for a vacation, just wondering and worried if her passport still valid when we will go home to canada 2wks from now.

    • Barry Choi on February 15, 2019 at 5:26 AM

      Hi Lloyd,

      I would contact the local embassy for advice about your situation as I really have no idea how they would react.

  94. Latif on February 19, 2019 at 3:08 PM

    Hi Barry,

    I have Canadian citizenship and living in Pakistan due to some family problems, my passport is expired more than one year. I want to renew it and my all information is same like name, sex, address. Do I need to complete form section “documents to support identity”? or is it necessary? but I have expired Canadian passport. Can I leave this section blank? My Canadian citizen card contains all 5 information like photo, signature, name, sex and date of birth.

    • Barry Choi on February 19, 2019 at 4:15 PM

      Hi Latif,

      I’m not sure about that. I would advise contacting the embassy

      • Latif on February 20, 2019 at 1:30 AM

        Thanks for reply. I called embassy but they say send your questions y email. I sent email but no reply yet after 10 days waiting. can you help me in this regards.

        • Barry Choi on February 20, 2019 at 6:51 AM


          I don’t work for the passport office so I really can’t give you a clear answer. You could try calling one of the Canadian passport offices as they may be more inclined to answer your question over the phone. In a worst case, just fill out all the information and bring your expired documents with you. It’s better to have too much info than too little.

  95. SMB on February 22, 2019 at 4:08 PM

    I had a flight booked to Mexico, departing on Saturday. And realized on Thursday night that my passport had expired. After cursing myself for about 30mins, I got all my documents filled out for a renewal (my passport had only been expired for a month and half), got my photos taken and printed out my flight receipt. I arrived at the Passport office in Saskatoon 40mins before it opened to ensure I was first in line. The process was quick, I did have to pay an extra fee, but it was ready at 2pm. Huge lesson learned here, Renew your passport in advance. I was able to get it in time. But don’t be me. Be smarter.

    • Barry Choi on February 22, 2019 at 10:26 PM


      Great to hear you got your passport in time and a great lessons for others.

  96. Andrea on February 26, 2019 at 4:15 AM


    I’m a Canadian abroad in Australia and I lost my passport. I’m a dual citizen (British) and so I have my British passport with me, will I be able to enter back into Canada with my British passport? .. my flight is in a couple weeks!!


  97. Beverly Magaway on February 27, 2019 at 10:46 AM

    Hi Barry,

    I mailed in my kids passport application as we are 1.5 hours away from the passport office and been very busy at work, i just found out that mailed in application can take up to 20 business days to process, our flight is on Marc 22, i mailed it on the 22nd of feb, do you think there is a way i could request for a rush or expedite processing of my kids passports? That’s their second passports as the first one is expiring. Thanks for your advice.

    • Barry Choi on February 27, 2019 at 10:49 AM


      You could call them to see if it can be rushed, but I suspect you may be good. When you call them, just ask them if it’ll be delivered by the 22nd. Paying for the rush may be worth it to give you peace of mind.

  98. Muhammad Latif on April 23, 2019 at 2:04 AM

    Hi Barry,

    I have sent my application for renewal passport 4 weeks ago in islamabad pakistan and including credit card authorization payment form. After 22 business days, payment collection is not done yet. can you guide what should I do for that?

    • Barry Choi on April 23, 2019 at 7:46 AM

      hi Muhammad,

      I really don’t know the answer to this. You could try contacting the Embassy for an update.

  99. DP on April 29, 2019 at 2:46 PM

    I am a new Canadian citizen living in the US and I applied for my 1st Canadian passport by mail. It was received by the passport office on April 11th. The file number was created only sometime last week. I have called them a few times already to tell them my date of travel to Canada is on May 10th so if there’s anything they can do to speed it up. They keep insisting every time I call them that the processing time is 20 business days so they have time until May 11th to have it completed and then however long it takes for it to be mailed to me after that.

    I keep requesting if they can put in a note that I need to travel on the 10th, and finally they gave me a fax number to send my proof of travel to but said they cannot guarantee it will lead to processing any time sooner. I have air tickets booked so I’m planning on sending the fax, but any thoughts on what my chances are for it to be processed and couriered to me before the 10th of May? What type of courier do they use for sending passports to the US applicants? Is it overnight?

    I also contacted the embassy where I live and they said for first time passport applicants they cannot issue me an emergency travel document.

    • Barry Choi on April 29, 2019 at 3:33 PM


      The embassy is right in the sense that they can take up to 20days to process your passport. That obviously leaves you in a weird position. Leaving a note on the account doesn’t really mean anything to them. I have no idea what courier they use.

      If you want to play it safe and if it’s possible, you may want to delay your travel plans.

  100. jenny on May 5, 2019 at 11:22 PM

    I am dual canadian. i was not allowed to get back into canada with my european passport and was unaware of any of these changes. they freely let me into the states as i applied for esta while in the airport for checkin. what is the supposed best way of getting back into canada given a misplaced cdn passport? my impromptu solution was to travel by car. i feel this is the most ridiculous illogical process put in place. basically being a dual citizen suppresses my second passport immensely

    • Barry Choi on May 6, 2019 at 7:39 AM


      I believe Canadian dual citizens who are entering Canada by plane need to use their Canadian passport.

      • Jenny on May 6, 2019 at 10:06 AM

        That’s correct. Given the passport was misplaced and having a different valid passport,they won’t allow reentey even with a waiver or visa. Seems like the non cdn passport is not deemed as valid at all. Is there any supposed alternative method to handle this situation. I just find it ludicrous

        • Barry Choi on May 6, 2019 at 10:32 AM


          As far as I know, there’s no alternative. I do agree it’s insane that you can’t use your other passport to enter especially if you’ve reported your Canadian passport as lost/stolen.

          • Jenny on May 6, 2019 at 12:12 PM

            I didn’t even know that the law changed and weird everyone is fine with this new regulation. Surprised there isn’t more noise or chatter from this. Even the customer service at the airline laughed boisterously when I tried to come back. And they didn’t notify me when I left (I get I should have checked) but was obvious i was oblivious when I was filling an Esta application. Anyhow. Thanks anyway for confirming theres no other way.

  101. big yan on May 7, 2019 at 6:17 PM

    i have a flight tomorrow afternoon and realized my passport is expired is there a way i can get a new passport done for my flight tomorrow???

    • Barry Choi on May 7, 2019 at 6:19 PM

      Big Yan,

      The earliest you can get it is by 5pm assuming you have all your paperwork ready as soon as the passport office opens.

  102. Jacob on May 11, 2019 at 1:44 PM

    Damn Barry you’re still here helping people that’s awesome!

  103. Rupinder Shergill on May 21, 2019 at 12:04 PM

    Hi my name Rupinder Shergill am from Calgary my passport damage but my filght 18 jun so new passport apply 17 May what time my new passport

    • Barry Choi on May 21, 2019 at 12:07 PM


      If you applied for your new passport on May 17th, you should get it well before your travel date.

  104. moontahir on November 8, 2020 at 3:30 PM

    Hi, I took my oth Thursday October 29, 2020. I needed urgent certificate they said they will send my certificate within week but its 8 days now I haven’t received. I need my passport for travel because my mother died in my hometown. What should I do???

Get a FREE copy of Travel Hacking for Lazy People

Subscribe now to get your FREE eBook and learn how to travel in luxury for less