American Express has just announced double the rewards and points for American Express Platinum Cardholders between April 21 until July 20, 2020. This promotion is clearly aimed at the current global pandemic, but I like it a lot.
Through this promotion, you’ll earn double the points on all your purchases. That means the earn rate will look like this”
- 6 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible dining in Canada
- 4 points for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible travel
- 2 points for every $1 on all other card purchases.
In addition, if you choose to pay (or partially pay) for any purchase charged to your Platinum Card with points – through the Use Points for Purchases program – you’ll enjoy twice the value. That means 1,000 points is now worth $20.
This is significant because normally it would take 1,000 points for $10 in travel purchases or $7 for anything else. The current promotion gives you almost three times the value.
Now think about the value from a percentage point. You’ll now get the following return for each category when you redeem your points for purchases:
- 12% for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible dining in Canada
- 8% for every $1 in Card purchases on eligible travel
- 4% for every $1 on all other card purchases.
To take advantage of this offer, spend like you normally would, there’s no need to register. When you’re ready to redeem points for purchases, just log in to your American Express account.
The timing of this promotion couldn’t be better if you’re looking to get more value out of your points or if you’re trying to qualify for the Altitude Prestige 25K status Aeroplan promotion.