As many of you know, I write a lot about credit cards. I usually focus on bonus points but one card that has caught my attention as of late is the SimplyCash Preferred Card from American Express. The features of the card have changed in the last year, but my American Express SimplyCash Preferred card review is still positive.
What makes this card appealing is the fact that you can balance transfer at a rate of just 1.99% for six months and take advantage of the 5% cash-back (up to $3000) on purchases in the first 6 months. Those are some great features if you’re looking to reduce debt or maximize your rewards.
SimplyCash Preferred benefits
- $99 annual fee
- 5% cash-back on purchases for the first 6 months (up to $300)
- 2% cash-back on purchases after the first 6 months (no limit)
- 1.99% interest rate on balance transfers for the first 6 months
- Earn $200 cash back for approved referrals (up to $3,000)
- Extensive insurance coverage
The 5% cash back is one of the highest amounts you can earn from any credit card. Yes, it lasts for just 6 months, but all you need to spend is $3,000 to earn the maximum reward. I realize that sounds like a lot, but if you know you have a major purchase coming up, you can maximize your earnings. The 2% cash back on all purchases after 6 months is also appealing if you use your credit card on a regular basis.
You should obviously always pay off your full credit card balance every month, but sometimes we end up with some debt. The balance transfer interest rate of 1.99% is one of the best rates available. 1.99% is significantly lower than the average credit card interest rate of 19.99%, so take advantage of it and pay down any outstanding debts that you may have.
- Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance
- $100,000 Travel Accident Insurance
- Emergency Medical Insurance
- Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
- Flight Delay Insurance
- Hotel / Motel Burglary Insurance
The insurance is good for up to 15 days of travel and you must charge your tickets to your SimplyCash Preferred Card to be eligible.