The American Express Platinum benefits are the main reason why the Amex Platinum card consistently ranks as one of the best travel credit cards in Canada. Yes, the Amex Platinum comes with a hefty annual fee of $699, but the benefits included are easily worth more than that. If you read my American Express Platinum review, I go into full details of why I think it’s such a great card, but this post will focus specifically on the Amex Platinum benefits and how you can use them to your advantage.
60,000 Membership Rewards sign up bonus
One could argue that the best American Express Platinum Benefit is the 60,000 points sign up bonus with my referral link when you spend $5,000 in the first three months of cardmembership. The standard bonus is 50,000 points on a $3,000 spend, but the referral bonus gives you 10,000 extra Membership Rewards points. 60,000 points have a minimum value of $600 but they could easily be worth $1,000 + if you transfer them to Aeroplan or Marriott Bonvoy.
Earning and using your Membership Rewards.
With the American Express Platinum Card, you earn 3 American Express Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on dining, 2 points per $1 spent on travel, and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Let’s say you charge $20,000 to the card in one year. $6,000 on dining, $4,000 on travel and $10,000 on other expenses, you would have earned a total of 36,000 MR points based on that spend
With your membership rewards points, you can do the following:
- Book travel purchases through the Amex travel portal
- Redeem them for travel booked on your American Express Platinum Card
- Book flights via the Amex Fixed Points Travel Program
- Transfer your points to Aeroplan, Avios, Delta, Etihad, Alitalia, Asia miles
- Transfer your points to Marriott Bonvoy or Hilton Honors
- Redeem your points for gift cards or merchandise
- Redeem your points for a statement credit
Annual $200 travel credit
Although the Amex Platinum card comes with an annual fee of $699, it also comes with an annual $200 travel credit that can be applied to offset $200 on any booking made via the Amex travel portal or by phone. The annual credit is awarded at the time you sign up and at each anniversary of your application. This credit essentially reduces your annual fee to $499 per year and is one of the best American Express Platinum Card benefits.
Airport lounge access
While several credit cards give some you to airport lounges, the Amex Platinum card is in a league of its own with the American Express Global Lounge Collection.
Each Platinum cardholder gets access to:
- High-end lounges in 15+ cities
- Unlimited access for the cardholder and up to two guest
- All food, drinks and other amenities are complementary
- More than 1,200 lounges and restaurants in 500 airports
- Membership + unlimited access for the cardholder and one guest
- Usually complementary snacks and drinks, but vary by lounge
- Access to Delta Sky Club lounge when flying on Delta operated flights
- Complementary visit for cardholder
- Complementary visit for the cardholder and one guest in 50+ Plaza Premium lounges
- Complementary visit for the cardholder and up to two guests in AirSpace and Escape lounges
Depending on how much you travel, the lounge access that comes with your Amex Platinum benefits could be worth more than the $699 fee.
Another one of the Amex Platinum benefits is the travel insurance package that’s quite comprehensive. Note that with the exception of emergency medical insurance, you need to charge all of your travel expenses to your American Express Platinum card for the insurance to apply. If you’re booking your travel with points, you’d have to charge the remaining balance to your Amex Platinum card for it to be valid.
|Emergency Medical Insurance||$5,000,000 - 15 days / Under 65|
|Trip Cancellation Insurance||$2,500 per person / $5,000 total|
|Trip Interruption Insurance||$2,500 per person / $6,000 total|
|Flight Delay Insurance||$1,000 - 4 hours +|
|Baggage Delay Insurance||$1,000 - 6 hours +|
|Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance||$1,000 combined per occurrence|
|Car Rental Theft Damage Insurance||$85,000 - 48 days|
|Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance||$1,000 per occurrence|
|Travel Accident Insurance||Up to $500,000|
American Express Platinum benefits also include status upgrades at multiple hotel chains. This is a huge benefit since many of these status upgrades could give you additional hotel benefits such as an upgraded room, free WiFi, early check-in, late check-out, extra points, and more.
Marriott Bonvoy gold status (usually requires staying 25 nights in a year)
- Member discount
- 25% points bonus
- Enhanced room upgrade (based on availability)
- Bonus points on all stays (including stays paid with points) depending on the hotel brand (250pts on 12 brands and 500pts on 19 brands)
- Enhanced Internet access
- Ultimate reservation guarantee
- 2PM late checkout
Hilton gold status (usually requires staying 40 nights in a year)
- Member discount
- 80% points bonus
- Room upgrade (based on availability)
- No resort fees on Reward stays
- 5th night free on Rewards stays
- Complimentary breakfast in all hotels
- 2 bottles of water
- Elite tier rollover nights
- In-room free Internet
- Late checkout
Radisson gold status (usually requires staying 30 nights in a year)
- Member discount
- 25 points per dollar spent
- 15% discount on food and drinks at participating hotel restaurants
- 2 bottles of water
- Rollover nights
- Complimentary room upgrade (based on availability)
- Early and late checkout (up to 2 hours prior and post regular hours)
- In-room welcome gift
Shangri-La hotels Golden Circle Jade status (usually requires staying 20 nights in a year)
- Earn bonus points
- Complimentary daily buffet breakfast served at Café Restaurant (up to 2 guests)
- 11am Early check-in and 4pm late check-out (based on availability)
- Upgrade to the next best room category, if the reserved room type is not available at check-in
- Choice of three welcome amenities (fresh fruits, chocolates, beer, cookies, water)
American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts
The Fine Hotels & Resorts program is an often overlooked Amex Platinum benefit which brings a lot of value on stays at luxury hotels. When booking via the Fine Hotels & Resorts program you get all these additional benefits with your booking included in the price shown (note that price on Amex includes all taxes and fees):
- Room upgrade
- Free daily breakfast for two
- $100 credit for food and drinks per stay (may vary per hotel)
- Noon check-in
- 4PM check-out
- Complimentary WiFi
The Hotel Collection by American Express
Similar to the Fine Hotels & Resorts, booking a hotel stay via The Hotel Collection grants you additional benefits. While the Fine Hotels & Resorts is limited to select luxury hotels, The Hotel Collection is available for more hotels. For each stay of two nights or more, you get these additional benefits:
- Room upgrade
- $75 credit for food, drink or spa
Toronto Pearson International Airport Benefits
Travellers departing from Toronto Pearson airport can take advantage of a few additional American Express Platinum Card benefits which make the travelling experience better.
- Toronto Pearson Priority Security Lane– Bypass the long lines at security by showing your Platinum card at Terminal 1 and 3
- Complimentary Valet Car Service – The $25 valet fee charge will be waived if you pay it with your Platinum car at Terminal 1 and 3
- 15% discount on parking – You will receive 15% back in credit statement for parking charges put on your Platinum card at Pearson airport. Valid for Express Park in Terminal 1 and Daily Park in Terminals 1 & 3. This can be used in addition to the valet car service.
- Discounted Car Care – 15% discount off the cost of Car Care services (including taxes) will be provided as a statement credit for charges put on your Platinum card.
Although there are hundreds of car rental agencies, the only American Express Platinum benefit you get is with Hertz. Fortunately, the benefits included aren’t bad
- Free enrollment for Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status which gives
- priority service
- bonus points
- one class free upgrade
- When using Platinum CDP # 633306 (discount code) you also receive :
- Discount rates and special rates on Prestige cars
- Free additional driver for spouse / civil partner
- 4-hour grace period (you can book 28 hours for the price of a one-day rental)
High-end travel benefits
Platinum cardholders can enjoy multiple benefits on high-end travel experiences including:
- Discounts, credit and/or additional perks on premium travel bookings such as :
- Cruise Privileges Program (discount and perks on cruise bookings)
- International airline programs (discounted companion tickets and upgrades for business and first class bookings on selected airlines)
Global Dining Collection
Platinum cardholders can get a reserved table at some of the best restaurants in the world via the Platinum concierge service. Cardholders also get special amenities like free drinks or private kitchen tours. American Express also invites Platinum cardholders to special culinary events which can be quite fun.
Front of the Line presale tickets
One of the more common American Express Platinum benefits is the Front of the Line presale tickets which gets sent to your email. Basically, you get the option to purchase tickets to some of the biggest concerts, shows, and sporting events which is handy since many of these shows get sold out right away.
Purchase protection & Buyers assurance
Finally, your Amex Platinum benefits include purchase protection & buyers assurance which protects you from physical damage and theft, up to a limit of $1,000 per occurrence for 120 days from the date of purchase and doubles your manufacturer’s warranty up to one additional year.
Apply now for the Amex Platinum Card
As you can see, the American Express Platinum Card benefits are clearly aimed at people who frequently travel. There’s no denying that the $699 annual fee is quite steep, but as mentioned, the $200 travel credit instantly brings down your annual fee to $499. Then, of course, there’s the generous sign up bonus and the strong earn rate. If you want more details about the card, read my American Express Platinum review now but know that it’s one of the best American Express cards in Canada.