The largest (and my personal favourite) hotel chain, Marriott International has just launched a few different promotions including 20% off Marriott Bonvoy gift cards. This is an amazing deal but since it applies to USD, you need to factor in the 2.5% exchange fee that most credit cards charge unless you have one of the best no foreign transaction fee credit cards in Canada.
COVID-19 is still a very serious concern in the world, but these promos are very flexible and Marriott has one of the best refund/cancellation policies out there when it comes to hotel stays. I personally think this deal is even better than using your Marriott Bonvoy points for free nights.
Marriott summer promotions
- From May 11 – 17, get a 20% USD discount on Marriott Bonvoy Gift Cards
- On May 18 and 19 only, get 10% off Homes and Villas by Marriott International (HVMI) stays.
- From May 18 0 June 30, get a 60% bonus on purchased points toward free nights. You can also gift points with the bonus.
- No blackout dates for Marriott Bonvoy Gift Cards.
- Marriott’s regular cancelation policy applies so you can cancel any reservations made before June 30 up to 24 hours prior to arrival including pre-paid stays.
- If you book between May 4 – August 31, 2020, HVMI guests may cancel up to 10 days before arrival to receive a full refund. That said, a $75 credit card processing fee still applies.
Get up to 25.5% off by stacking promos
If you pay with your American Express Platinum Card you could actually get up to 25.5% off thanks to the double points and rewards promotion. With the American Express Platinum Card, you earn 2 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent. Thanks to the promo, that’s 4 points per $1 spent. The promo also doubles the value of your statement credits. That means travel purchases are worth up to 8%.
When you combine that with the Marriott Bonvoy Gift Cards USD promo and subtract the foreign transaction fee of 2.5%, you end up with about 25.5% in total savings.
Additional ways to save
If you don’t have the American Express Platinum Card, there are still a few other ways to save.
- Use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and you’ll save on the 2.5% exchange fee.
- Use your Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card and earn 5 points for every $1 spent. Marriott.com should code as a hotel stay. Remember, if you have higher status, you earn additional points.
This is one of the best hotel promotions I have ever seen and there’s even more potential value since you can stack this offer with other promotions going on. I plan on buying quite a few gift cards and using them whenever it doesn’t make sense to use my Marriott Bonvoy points.